Solidworks Help

fleur

I need to create a boat on solidworks and have been given design specifications.

1.Must fit inside a box 100mmx100mmx100mm

2.Float 2 meters across water

3.Powered by an elastic band and propeller.

It would be helpful if I could get some tips.

Tips on what exactly? How to model a boat? This sounds like a design test/challenge and i think you should come up with a boat idea first(hand sketches) to fit your given materials and requirements. Once you have a design, if you need help putting it into Solidworks we can help point you in the right direction.

Tips on what exactly? How to model a boat? This sounds like a design test/challenge and i think you should come up with a boat idea first(hand sketches) to fit your given materials and requirements. Once you have a design, if you need help putting it into Solidworks we can help point you in the right direction.

I have considered a shape which is a streamlined body as it has the lowest drag coefficient.However the boat is going to be powered by an elastic band and propeller I am not quite sure which part of the boat I would put propeller and how that's done on solidworks(the propeller is provided it has a 35mm diameter)

Well i won't comment one the hull design or location of your propeller since those seem like part of your assignment. If you come up with a hand sketch of what you want to do then I, or someone else, will be happy to help you figure out how to model it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of constraints of using ALM in terms of material and construction.I know that there can be issues when it comes to printing components with sharp corners but I dont know exactly why.

Any suggestions ?

What is ALM? Aluminum? There aren't really issues 3d printing corners. What kind of 3d printing process will you be using? FDM, SLS, SLA, PolyJet? etc if its Aluminum then DMLS. Not sure i would print a propeller powered boat with that material just based on weight.

Ok. Still a blanket term if thats true right?. Iver heard Laser Additive Manufacturing but im sure ALM could be the same.. Could still be dmls, sls, poly etc

I hope that you are not thinking "boat" in the conventional sense. The typical boat architecture is quite involved and requires skills and knowledge in advanced surfacing.

There are three tutorials that I know of that are offered by three of the most skilled and respected Solidworks instructors around, namely Mark Biasotti, Matt Lombard, and Ben Eadie.

All three of those gentlemen are tops in the field and are considered by most to be the most "surfacing savvy". The mathematics of a typical boat hull is a little involved requiring basic construction

of the table of offsets to form the hull shape. You might want to think of something a little less advanced, maybe a somewhat streamlined rectangle with a liberal fillet forming the

bow section. The drive train is somewhat simple as it would be just the opposite of the balsa wood airplanes we bought and built as children, with the propeller at the rear except the front.

Chubarka

Ok. Still a blanket term if thats true right?. Iver heard Laser Additive Manufacturing but im sure ALM could be the same.. Could still be dmls, sls, poly etc

Correct, just means 3D printing basically. Pretty sure this is just a University project, sounds like they want everything given to them, material design and all.

Looks like they have size restrictions a set propeller that all will use and a goal of going 2 meters, I wonder if there is a particular rubber band they use as well.

It would be helpful to know the specs of the propeller, but not a necessity, I would like to know the rubber band specs as far as length and any limits on the amount of twists.

I would go with a catamaran and lightest material available, maybe there is a list of what they can use.

• 1 month later...

What material did you apply to your solidworks model amd what was its mass property? Most likely you used a material that doesn't match real life. Some prints,depending on method, will also print hollow walls with a matrix in it. So how was it printer, what material and style of print(solid walls, thin walls etc).