Additional Payment Required for Physical Media for AutoCAD 2017

JGA

I am gobsmacked that Autodesk have the cheek to require customers to pay a sum on top of the subscription fee for obtaining an update in their software.

Subscription licenses are costing organisations thousands of pounds annually, but still ask for more money to obtain the software!

The installers are now in the 10's of Gb's.

Surely from a customer relations exercise, it makes sense to swallow the cost of the media & postage?

Yup, but the costs don't seem to come down!

LOL

First you say they should eat the extra cost for providing the media. Now you're saying the price should be lower w/o the media.

Well, I am from Scotland...

I never noticed a cost reduction when physical media was added as an additional cost, rather than included with the subscription.

Why would you with all the other cost increases? If media were included, the price would be even higher.

Does being from Scotland have any implications in the conversation?

We live in a world that is ever more focused on instant gratification. Electronic media has made this growth even faster. How fast you get your software depends on how fast you can download it. No longer do you have to wait for a physical package.

Personally I'd rather have the physical media.

Since the download trend started, what? Around 2009 or so? I've had many occasions where I've needed to build a deployment or do a quick one time install, and having the USB drive sitting here is faster than a download could ever be.

Also, I still have media for R14, R2000, R2002, R2004, etc. - you won't generally find those for download.

Yes, I know the average user has no need for 15 year old apps, but sometimes it's helpful if for nothing else, than to go back and peek at the PGP file, or a menu file or something else historical in a older version.

The box in the corner at home R14 3.5 inch floppies one day copy them, our 2016 install was from a download put on usb, my coffe cup coaster though is a dud 2011 DVD download, starts then stops. The commercial software I was involved in 9 floppies took a little while to install. They had a floppy disk copier aropund 100 disks at a time, oops I mean a long time.