Cannot see layers in layers prop manager

MAREBER

Sorry to bother you guys again. I have been trying to clean up layers in my base drawings and have obviously done something wrong. I cannot see any layers when I open the Layers property manager. However, I can see all layers with the drop down function. (see image)

Please help me to fix this. Thank you in advance!

Capture CAD.jpg

yes, when I type that into the command line, a new box pops up that does show all layers. I just can't see any layers when I open the box from the top layers area.

That's the layer control that I use, since I had the problem you have. I'm sorry that I can't remember what solved it, though.

And I've never had a problem with anything "classic".

Looks like you have it set for Layer Filter Group. Toggle the top left button I believe.

Corrected.

Edited by SLW210

Are you running any LISPs that change layer properties?

If you guys notice, it's not just the layer list that is missing, the icons for the buttons are also gone. I've been experiencing a similar problem as of late and no one else in the office is experiencing it. I also get wrong icons and partial layer lists. Everything is still clickable, just no icons. Sometimes changing workspace fixes it. Sometimes resetting my profile does. It's not consistent.

We have temporarily narrowed it down to an LISP that I use for changing layer colors by selecting an object. We aren't sure yet because the problem is not consistently duplicatable. It seems to build up with the layer manager getting progressively laggy until icons change or disappear.

Sort of like it is running out of memory too.

If you reboot, it might take care of it?

We thought the same thing and of course rebooted many times. I'm really leaning towards that LISP. It was written years before the layermanager was changed to a pallet. It's a very simple LISP and looks fine on the surface but the problem has not come back since removing it from my start-up suite.

Of course, the OPs situation could be something totally different with the same symptoms.

Sorry, I didn't notice you were using the new Layer Property Manager in AutoCAD 2011.

You will need to use the Classic Layer Manager in AutoCAD 2011, it works, the new one has many bugs in AutoCAD 2011.

Set LAYERDLGMODE to 0 and use the Classic Layer Property Manager.

Edited by SLW210
Corrected Errors

Sorry, I didn't notice you were using the new Layer Property Manager in AutoCAD 2011.

You will need to use the Classic Layer Manager in AutoCAD 2011, it works, the new one has many bugs in AutoCAD 2011.

As Dadgad mentioned, set LAYERDLGMODE to 1 and use the Classic Layer Property Manager.

Can you post some documentation on this? I'm wondering if what I am experiencing may be do to similar issues.

AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT Layer Manager Hotfix though it never helped. A search of Autodesk knowledge base and maybe CADTutor should turn up many complaints IIRCC.

I remember a particular problem changing layer colors, etc. with the color box. I do seem to recall having the same problem as the OP as well. I would not be surprised if some of those problems are still around.

I have used Classic Layer after struggling a Month or so with the New Layer Properties Manager. If I recall anymore problems, I'll come update this post.

Here is one from ReMark...http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?55039-A-LPM-with-a-view.-Windows-anyone

Edited by SLW210
Added Information

The issue fixed by that hotfix:

Users who have applied Update 1 and keep the Layer Manager open while using Plot, Render, Orbit, or Autosave may see AutoCAD become unstable when modifying any layer properties.

Thank you each so much for the help. as it turns out, when I booted up this morning it was fine again, but I will keep this bookmarked just in case I run into the same issue again.

Yes, after screwing around with it for an hour or so, and it did not come back until this morning. I have been getting a message that my internal battery capacity is low, but other than that, nothing else had changed, except that I was trying to clean up a few drawings by merging and deleting layers right before this happened.

Did you fully power down or just restart?

The reason I ask is that a full power down cleans out more cache stuff than a restart.

On a side note IME, even when this works, the problem does come back.