No Area Value for Polyline / closed polygon

Ok, so this pesky polyline won't give me an area. I found a topic on the Map 3D forum that had a couple of suggestions, but I'm using vanilla AutoCAD 2014.

As you can see by the image, the area value for this polyline is missing. I've tried flattening it (as there is a survey attached with 3D points), I've tried AUDIT and PURGE, I've tried closing ACAD and re-opening. EDIT: I can hatch the shape as well - but the hatch has no area given either! Finally, I've verified that it is closed. Nada

I can get the area of other polygon shapes, just not one traced off of the 3D points- even after the FLATTEN command. Any ideas?

polyline_no area.jpg

Edited by dal-designs
Addition information

If you reset your OSNAPZ variable to 1, as shown in the screenshot from my SYSVDLG, you will be able to trace it, and get a flat closed polyline result, which should then display Area, as shown in my Quick Properties in the screenshot.

This is the same variable which can be accessed in OPTIONS, on the Drafting tab, in the lower left corner.

I like your signature, truer words were never spoken. :beer:

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking, til you do succeed! :)

reset your osnaps to flat.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

No go. Setting OSNAPZ to 1, flattening (just to be safe), and tracing still results in no area calculation.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the survey being attached. Maybe having any data in the drawing at all associated with a z-value other than zero is confusing AutoCAD?

I can hatch but the hatch doesn't show an area, either.

I have edited the original post to include that info. Sorry.

Sonofa...!

Well, that's part of the problem. That fixes it in the new drawing I posted above, but it still doesn't give me an area in the original drawing. But I have a workaround at least, so thanks everyone for the help.

You win this one, AutoCAD...

Edited by dal-designs
Additional information