Extrude Sloping 3D Polyline Vertically

lamensterms

Hi,

Please see image below for example.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59183&cid=1&stc=1

I have a non-flat 3d polyline triangle, and I would like to extrude it vertically. Usually (by default) the extrude command will extrude perpendicular to the slope of the triangle, I would like to extrude vertically regardless of the slope.

I am able to achieve this by extruding along a vertical line (path), but have found this does not produce ideal results when extruding multiple triangles at once.

Can anyone recommend a better solution?

Thanks for any help.

2016-09-06 15_27_21.jpg

Try using Sweep with a Path, instead. I just created a group of triangles, as shown, and rotated them to different random angles with 3DRotate. I created a 3D Polyline along the Z axis, to use as a path. I then used the Sweep command, selected all of them, then the path, and it seems to have done what you are after.

use Sweep with a PATH instead.JPG

use Sweep with a PATH instead 2.JPG

Hey Dadgad, thanks a lot for the suggestion

Unfortunately, SWEEP produces similar results to EXTRUDE (when selecting multiple triangles). This issue I have is that when performing a multi-EXTRUDE or multi-SWEEP, the resulting 3D solids are "off" the face of the original triangle (.DWG attached showing examples).

The workaround I have so far is to extrude a small set of triangles, along a Z-path (line), ensuring that each triangle I am extruding has a vertex at the same endpoint of the path/line. So for each set of triangles, they have to all share a common point. Hope that explanation makes sense haha.

Still open to any other suggestions you may have, this will be an ongoing task.

EXTRUDE & SWEEP.dwg

The dwg raised more quesions for me than it answered.

Are you modeling gemstones?

I don't really understand your response, about they all need to share a vertex?

When I Sweep the small varied set of 3D polyline closed triangles, along a single path, which starts at one vertex of one of them, then they seem to generate just fine, at numerous different elevations, the sweep of each starting where they were drawn, as shown in the screenshot.

use Sweep with a PATH instead 3.jpg

The triangles were generated from survey points of a concrete slab, so I'm creating a triangular faceted 3D solid of the slab (like a Triangulated Irregular Network).

Sorry for the poor explanation, I'll post another DWG shortly of what I have been doing, with a small selection of triangles extrude along a path.

As a test, if you open that DWG I had attached, delete all the solids from one of the sets, and try SWEEP all the triangles along the path that is in the DWG, you should see the same results I am seeing. I'd be interested if you able to get it to work, as that would suggest there is something wrong with my ACAD.

I don't really understand your response, about they all need to share a vertex?

I should have said, each triangle needs to have a vertex on a common point, and that common point needs to be an end point of the EXTRUDE/SWEEP path. At least... that's what I think I know haha.

EDIT......

The above is not always true, I have just found. It appears that some triangles, that do not have a vertex on the common point, will still extrude correctly. While some others will not. Perhaps it is an issue of the ammount of triangles I am trying to extrude at once.

Please see the attached DWG, and if you wouldn't mind - try SWEEP or EXTRUDE all the triangles (shown white) at once, along the path (shown yellow). I believe you should find that some of the newly created solids will not be aligned correctly with the triangles.

EXTRUDE & SWEEP.dwg

From help:

"The path should not lie on the same plane as the object..."

You can also use the DIRECTION option.

Awesome, thanks a lot for that GP.

Both your suggestions solved my problem. If I move the path away from the triangles, the results are good. If I use the DIRECTION option, the results are good.

Thanks a lot for the tip and thanks for your assistance GP & Dadgad. I wish I could say that next time, I will pay closer attention to the command prompts/options - but it seems to be a hard lesson to learn haha.

Thanks again.