I need a hole in a convex surface

af7xm

Well, here I am in class and I've created this nice piece from the sketch dimensions provided but I can't for the life of me seem to be able to place a hole into the convex side of this part. I tried making a block first with the hole at the proper place but couldn't get the block to the shape I am after. Like real life, the "bit" seems to be walking on the surface and I can't figure out how to apply the "punch mark". Where is my virtual drill press when I need it? :lol:

OK, it's noob time. The drawing posted as an attachment here. BEARING.ipt

Stupid photo of the sketch came in way bigger than I intended, sorry about that; looks unprofessional at best. My issue is getting the 3/8" hole into the central shaft of the bearing housing at the point specified (heck, just getting it in anywhere would be an improvement).

Your wisdom is and will always be appreciated by this humbled student of all things CAD. Thank you.

Bearing_Dimensions.jpg

I'm just starting out learning Inventor too, you need a plane to work on I used the XZ as a starting plane and offset to a point on the outer edge then placed a point on the plane, Inventor will then let you create a hole based on this point you just need to tell it the diameter and pick the surface on the inside of your model as the finish.

BEARING1.ipt

First make sure center of part is at the 0,0 origin (this one is fine but a good habit to get into). Click on the Plane button, select outside of circle, select Origin Plane (or other face/plane) you want parallel to, create sketch on new plane, make Point, create Hole. Easiest way if going through one side or thru all is to just draw on Origin plane and Extrude Cut. Same thing with the flat head on your screw.