Joining two parts together in Rhino

chubarka

Hello,

I am primarily a Solidworks user and to join parts together is referred to as Assembly, I noticed that this term doesn't exist in Rhino, would someone here please point out the proper term for it and maybe give me a synopsis of the procedure so that I can begin to learn it in Rhino.

Thank you,

Chubarka

Would it be Boolean Union or perhaps Join? You're working with closed polysurfaces yes?

Have you visited the Rhino website and looked at any of the tutorials? Also check out the many YouTube videos re: Rhino.

website...https://www.rhino3d.com/tutorials

ReMark,

I didn't have any luck with either Boolean Union, or Join in the help files. What I did was to try opening one part, then importing my second part, and I am able to

get both parts on the screen at the same time, however with regards to lining them up to place one where I want to join the other , I am unable to revolve

without both pieces revolving at once. It would seem that I am in the wrong mode, is there a solution to this? I can post both files if it would help.

Chubarka

I would think that the answer to revolving one part while not revolving the other and aligning two parts would be found at the Rhino website. Have you looked there yet?

Yes I have, I have found nothing regarding my particular situation. However I will search out the internet, I'm sure I will find something eventually, thanks for your help.

Chubarka

Rhino isnt that type of program but there are addins to help. This will sound silly but search for either bongo, grasshopper or kangaroo with rhino3d in a search

Hello,

I am primarily a Solidworks user and to join parts together is referred to as Assembly, I noticed that this term doesn't exist in Rhino, would someone here please point out the proper term for it and maybe give me a synopsis of the procedure so that I can begin to learn it in Rhino.

Thank you,

Chubarka

Hi Chubarka...

If you send me the files I will join them and explain how to do it...

Send to ted@ted-kyte.com

Ted

Hi Chubarka…

The Ring is a solid or closed poly surface and the Face is a mesh.

They won’t join so you have to convert one or the other.

It looks like you want a solid to 3D print so I converted the face to a solid or closed poly face.

You do this by first checking that all the holes are closed then make sure all the normal are pointing the same direction.

Then you can do a mesh to nurbs and it should be a sloid or closed poly surface.

Then I saved it as a solid face.

Now open the ring and copy it to the clipboard.

Now open the solid face again and past in the ring.

You now have both solids in the same drawing.

Save that drawing.

Now rotate the ring to match the face back surface.

Move the ring to place it where you want it on the face.

With a slight overlap of the 2 I then did a Boolean union of the 2.

Hope this helps you out.

You can download the file here:

http://www.ted-kyte.com/download/Joined.zip

The face is a very large fine mesh, that’s what is making the file so large.

Ted