Data Extraction Question

RobboP

Hi all

I have a question that may sound simple to some, but it is causing me nothing but grief. I wont go into the end use (unless you want me to elaborate if req'd), but what I am looking for a solution to is this:

I have a series of 4 sided 3d polylines. Each point on these polylines is different in the 'z' axis. (In effect if I convert these to surfaces, they look twisted).

I am trying to use data extraction to separate them in a table and show all their single line dimensions (ie all the 4 lengths that make up the 3d polyline).

Am I missing something simple here?

Cheers

Rob

I have no idea if this will help, within your workflow but at least in LT exploding the 3d polylines exposes the true 3d length when reported using the list command.

Use this pline co-ords its has a 3d option its then a maths thing to work out the true 3d length. Lee-mac has a really good pline data extract it may do 3d.

Removed whilst I figure out incorrect answer.

Edited by BIGAL

Thanks for that guys.

Steven-g - I cannot explode the 3dplines as I need the table to keep the 3dp's a separate objects.

For example, the table will read something like this:

3dpline 1

Length 1 = ???

Length 2 = ???

Length 3 = ???

Length 4 = ???

I am assuming once exploded I cannot keep the 3dp's separated in the table. I hope I am making sense here. :-)

BIGAL

Thanks for that. However I do not know what to do with your Code. I have never does lisp's (if that is what it is). What do I do with that data? Copy and paste it somewhere. (feeling stupid now).

Cheers

Just another comment.......it seems silly that this info is not in a polylines properties, or at least easily available. After all AutoCAD would be adding them all together to show us a total 'length'.

I have used the code and it is almost what I am looking for. Ideally I would like it to give the whole length of the polyline instead of breaking it down into the segments if possible?

I also have a query regarding the lengths that it gives. I tested it on a Polyline that is 28.074m in length but the code says that it is 35422259.67. I am not sure if I am missing something here?

Code removed while I double check it. I thought you were asking for individual lengths as per 1st post. Any way try this copy and paste to command line it wil run automatically

(alert (rtos (vla-get-length (vlax-ename->vla-object (car (entsel "\nPick pline")))) 2 2))

Code removed while I double check it. I thought you were asking for individual lengths as per 1st post. Any way try this copy and paste to command line it wil run automatically

(alert (rtos (vla-get-length (vlax-ename->vla-object (car (entsel "\nPick pline")))) 2 2))

Hi BIGAL,

That works and is the sort of thing I am looking for. I know this is asking a lot more but what I am ideally looking for is something that can do this for multiple polylines (I could have hundreds in a drawing) and also tell me the length between each "GN" block and the label nearest to it.

So it is an extension of the code in this thread:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?98802-LISP-to-count-MTEXT-amp-Polylines&p=675625#post675625