Good Hatch, Bad Hatch

Arizona

I use hatches to extract quantities of stuff like concrete, pavement, wetlands fill, etc.

Most of the time, the hatch has an "area" embedded in it's code. When you select it, the Properties dialog box has a Geometry section at the bottom that lists it's area. The lisp routines I've written extract this area, convert to square yards, cubic yards, acres, tons of asphalt, or whatever you need, and do an appropriate thing with that info. :D

Every once and a while, a hatch will Not have an area. When you select it, the properties dialog box does not have "area" in the Geometry section. In these cases, my lisp routines error out.

When this happens I have to take the time to create a closed polyline around the area, then create a new hatch, using the closed pline. That usually does the trick. :x

Does anyone understand why this happens?

What am I doing wrong in the creation of the bad hatch?

These hatches are all created exactly the same way, with the 'pick point' method, so why would it yield different results?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this phenomenon.

What am I doing wrong in the creation of the bad hatch?

These hatches are all created exactly the same way, with the 'pick point' method, so why would it yield different results?

For alternative creating of hatchs or polylines you can try SuperBoundary utility instead standard BHATCH / BOUNDARY commands:

SbndTest2.gif

You can download it via this link.

I have a theory that this 'error' occurs when a hatch has arc in them. And to be precise, an overshooting arc

As the below image shows. It is usually the case, so you could easely fix the error if you look as these arc spots.

overshoot.png

@OMEGA-ThunderR

Your sugestion is not a theory, its a fact. :-)

An quick fix is to make a new boundary of the hatch, and then hatch that boundary again. :-) Will fix the problem most of the times.