I thought Revit was supposed to be Interoperable with Auto Cad?????

mcklem

i have downloaded almost 400 plumbing fixture rfa files off the internet and when i open them in Revit they are just 3d models but are blocks and i cant explode them....revit wont let me. Is there a way to modify these block type rfa files so i can add connectors and parameters to them.....if i choose full explode or partial then it tells me that only 2D data can be exploded... whats the deal???? i thought this was supposed to be easier in revit.

If i import the same 3D cad model into Revit it does the same thing...there should be a way to import 3d cad files and use them as parametric type parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I am a little confused.

If you have opened a new project and inserted the revit files as components, I am pretty sure you can not explode them.

The best way would be to open the plumbing fixture as it is, ie the family itself. Ypu can add connectors and parameters in this file and then load into the project you want them to be.

Cad models and revit families are completely different animals, yes you can use them. Again create a Generic Plumbing fixture, paste your cad mdel into the file and add whatever connections etc you need, then load this file into your project.