Mental Ray Discontinued

Cad64

I guess this is old news, but it's the first I'm hearing about it. Nvidia is no longer offering new subscriptions to the Mental Ray plugins or the standalone version.

http://images.nvidia.com/content/newsletters/email/pdf/Mental-Ray-FAQ-201.pdf?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWVRNME5qbG1ZekF6TkRJMCIsInQiOiJKV3FqYlwvYkVSUlcxN0V5NXdxcjRvYSt3SkpmXC96cW9JamRKU0Nmc0QrTnFHXC9DQjJLQ3VDVXB5ZlVjRUdZZUJ1NklSRDNzVUpjd01oYWRXUURTMnh4OEQ2cytpaDB5MTJRaEYxQUNRM1dXbFpEWTM0bGNCb2hOWXRSRUlpZHpnKyJ9

I don't use Studio Max very much anymore, but apparently the latest version is now using Arnold as the default renderer. I would be interested to hear what Max users think of Arnold, since I've never used it. Easier to use? Faster? Better results? :unsure:

I've just subscribed to Max 2018 and it does come with the Arnold Renderer, all the training I'm currently doing is focused on using it, i'll be posting up my Renders as they are produced, I can only comment on the Mental Ray Renderer used in AutoCAD though as Ive never used Max to render until now

Huh, I have not installed Max 2018 yet, still got 2017. Might have to install it and give it a spin.

So what will AutoCAD's included rendering engine be going forward if not mental ray?

So what will AutoCAD's included rendering engine be going forward if not mental ray?

If you're using 2017 then you already have the new rendering engine. They call it Rapid RT and it was first introduced in 2016. I don't know if it's a variation of the Arnold renderer or something different? I know that Autodesk bought Arnold and Solid Angle, so I assume they will be using some form of Arnold in Autocad, as they are doing with Max and Maya.

I did see in Max 2017 nVidia's Iray engine. Was this recent or did I just miss it?

Iray has been around for a few years, I just never used it since I parted ways with Max right around the time it was being introduced.

I have very limited experience with the Arnold Renderer. It is intended to simplify the lighting and rendering process and as a result has a more limited set of capabilities. I found it particularly frustrating that is does not support a visibility track or the inclusion/exclusion of objects from specific lights.

I posted a suggestion to include these features in the future. You can add your vote here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/art-renderer-enhancements-visibility-light-exclusion/idc-p/7578607

Lee

I just watched some Youtube tutorials about the Arnold renderer in Max and it looks pretty good. It seems to be a bit easier to set up lighting, environment, materials and rendering and the rendered output appears to be more realistic with less effort.