Welcome to your new home

CADTutor

Welcome to your new home at CADTutor!

I do hope you'll like the new forum software we're using, it provides a raft of new, modern tools that we didn't have before and it brings our community right up-to-date in terms of web apps. You'll find quite a lot of changes but the content and the members are all the same. I've also tried hard to make it look familiar, using the same style as our old home. Do take some time to look around and see what's on offer.

If you have any questions about the change or if you spot anything odd, just let me know. The migration process is fearfully complicated and it's possible that some small tweaks may still be required, so don't assume everything is perfect.

Things to bear in mind

POST COUNT: Long-time members (those who have been here for more than 10 years) may find that their post count has gone down. The reason for this is that all content more than 10 years old has been archived. There are two reasons for this; first, it helps to make the forum run more smoothly with legacy content removed and second, it seemed unlikely that anything more than 10 years old was still relevant.

PROFILE PHOTO: You'll notice that this software makes more use of your profile photo than the previous one. You'll also notice that the new profile photos are circular, in common with contemporary social media platforms. I'd encourage you to update your profile photo to reflect these changes. Simply go to your profile page and upload a new photo (250px X 250px) and you're good to go.

LEADERBOARD: Some content and statistics will take a little while to generate, so if you go to the Leaderboard (for example) and see nothing there, that's just because the new forum is still collecting data. Those areas will be populated in a short while.

FAQs: The FAQs in this forum were originally written for vBulletin software and are obviously now out-of-date. In time, these will be updated but I'm confident that the new software, Invision Community, is sufficiently intuitive that they may not be required at all.

Thanks for your support,

David

• Like 1

Good to see the new software up and running.

I would imagine most regulars will be used to Invision from other fora, and those who aren't should soon pick it up.

One question - Has the fish escaped?

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, nukecad said:

One question - Has the fish escaped?

Good question!

Our lovely mascot will remain on other parts of the site but it has proved difficult to incorporate it into the new forum in view of the header design and the responsive layout. I'm still considering options, so he (she?) may make a reappearance in the future.

Mmm, when you quoted me there it sent me two notifications, one for the reply and one for the quote.

Might be an idea to start a sub-forum or thread where users can report odd things like that so they are all in one place?

EDIT- screenshot:

Clipboard01.thumb.gif.6c563cca29a5119fc90d4d64720c0a6d.gif

Edited by nukecad

15 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Mmm, when you quoted me there it sent me two notifications, one for the reply and one for the quote.

Actually, that's a feature 😄

Two interactions = two notifications.

Fortunately, the notification settings are pretty comprehensive.

There used to be an icon in the list of topics that showed that I posted something in that topic.

Is it possible to put it back in?

16 hours ago, nukecad said:

Probably needs me to change my notification settings.

A good time to review all settings anyway.

Yes, there are many settings to be setup now under Account Setting>Notifications settings.

35 minutes ago, Emmanuel Delay said:

There used to be an icon in the list of topics that showed that I posted something in that topic.

Each topic has an icon, either a circle or a star, to the left of the topic title in the topic list. A star means you contributed to the topic and a circle means you did not. If the star or circle is blue, it means there is new, unread content in that topic.

topic-icons.jpg.9672b1d27f74d0cadf1b138c67c7b176.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2018 at 6:11 PM, CADTutor said:

[...] all content more than 10 years old has been archived.

I thought I can kiss for goodby my old helix routine. But today I did a short search and... it is right in place!

https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/topic/5-get-your-helix-here/?tab=comments#comment-42

First time posted on the Message Board in 2002! Long live the CADTutor!!! 😀

Yes, only topics that have not been updated in the last 10 years are archived. The helix topic, despite being started 16 years ago survived the archive because it contained posts less than ten years old. I'm very pleased about that because it's one of my fondest memories.

• 5 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 8:55 PM, nukecad said:

- Has the fish escaped?

fish.jpg.48f24259f551d16ff4db241eebd30124.jpg

How about this one? :)

-it is not a real one, just a pillow...

• Like 1