Selecting doesn't work all the time

OMEGA-ThundeR

Hi,

i consider myself a fast worker in AutoCAD and i have a problem i encounter since a while (perhaps sinds latest updates a few weeks back).

When i try to select objects with a window (from right to left) it won't always register my selection. I believe it has something to do with my selection speed, when i am 'really quick' it doesn't select anything.  When i am slowing down past half a second it seems to always work.

Might this be a bug?

Edit:

Hm.. some more testing revealed that this problem lays in the way i select.   

Click -> drag selection from right to left -> click again (don't move).

When i do it in the following way: 

Click -> drag selection from right to left -> click again (but during that click i am still moving the mouse).

it won't select anything.  It even works like that with the 'drag selection' (holding mousebutton).  i can't test in older versions, but i never had any trouble with this before. Might be some new system variable?

Edited by OMEGA-ThundeR

Edit #1: I totally missed your second to last sentence.. Go ahead and skip the two numbered items :P

Though, you might be ahead of me again on that last part too..

I see you're in ACAD & I'm in C3D, but I tried to replicate this issue regardless and am unable to do so in C3D 2014 or C3D 2019 trying both of the ways described above. This intrigues me, however, as I also consider myself a fast technician and do also continue moving the mouse after my exit click on window selections.

Can we experiment? Try:

1.) click and hold - - - > drag right to left - - - > release click (without moving after the drag) 

and

2.) Click and hold - - - > drag right to left - - - > release click (while still moving your mouse)

I'm not suggesting this as an alternative to your selection method as it's slower (At least in my current C3D 2014) as you have to be clicking down for at least two full seconds before it will register the release as you wanting to end your selection window.

Alternatively, you can attempt to experiment further by messing with your selection variables such as SELECTIONPREVIEW, or messing with Dynamic Input (F12, usually), DYNPROMP, or DYNMODE variables... Just toy around with some of those I suppose... For example, testing them while on, then once again when they're off.

Otherwise as a last resort, if you're invested in fixing this, attempt to rollback your system to before the update to see if that fixes it. If that does it then you can potentially dig into the changelogs and figure out some of the big points of that update to see what has changed from before to after the update.

Please let us know! I'm interested in hearing what the cause is, or if none of that worked!

Edited by Incognito Cube

On 10/11/2018 at 10:10 PM, Incognito Cube said:

Alternatively, you can attempt to experiment further by messing with your selection variables such as SELECTIONPREVIEW, or messing with Dynamic Input (F12, usually), DYNPROMP, or DYNMODE variables... Just toy around with some of those I suppose... For example, testing them while on, then once again when they're off.

Otherwise as a last resort, if you're invested in fixing this, attempt to rollback your system to before the update to see if that fixes it. If that does it then you can potentially dig into the changelogs and figure out some of the big points of that update to see what has changed from before to after the update.

Please let us know! I'm interested in hearing what the cause is, or if none of that worked!

Selectionpreview didn't change anything.
f12,Dynprompt, dynmode,  didn't change anything.

didn't change as in fixed the problem.

Also @Aftertouch, no floating toolbars or command bars.  QAFLAGS was set to 16, but at 0 it still doesn't select when moving.

I have also tried in Civil 3D 2019 and it has the same problem. Also when i try a standaard template instead of my own (in case it's some drawing based setting).

I tried on a different station with Autocad 2018 and Civil3D 2019 (same template as my own) and it doesn't show my problem there.

I had some trouble with my old mouse, so i also have a Logitech MX Master 2 with logitech software installed since a couple of weeks.  Come to think of it, it might have something to do with that software...  i will investigate further, i need to contact IT  to uninstall that software.

8 minutes ago, OMEGA-ThundeR said:

I had some trouble with my old mouse, so i also have a Logitech MX Master 2 with logitech software installed since a couple of weeks.  Come to think of it, it might have something to do with that software...  i will investigate further, i need to contact IT  to uninstall that software.

Since it's working on another station, I have a feeling you just led yourself to your own solution :P Maybe also try the mouse on someone's computer who doesn't have the software installed before having IT uninstall it from yours. If you haven't already tried that already.

Off topic question, how do you like your Master 2S? Just a few weeks ago I recieved my G602 for the additional buttons/macros & better precision... But that Master sure was a verrrry close runner up for me.

15 hours ago, Incognito Cube said:

Since it's working on another station, I have a feeling you just led yourself to your own solution :P Maybe also try the mouse on someone's computer who doesn't have the software installed before having IT uninstall it from yours. If you haven't already tried that already.

Off topic question, how do you like your Master 2S? Just a few weeks ago I recieved my G602 for the additional buttons/macros & better precision... But that Master sure was a verrrry close runner up for me.

You don't want to know how my IT person works....  It was even a burden for me to ask to remove the software, but this selection problem is slowing me down and frustrating my work.
The other station however probably doesn't have the latest autodesk updates since... well you know IT guys.. "Don't fix it if it ain't broken", and after this issue he probably ain't going to update anyway to create an equal situation.  My station got updates because of the draworder issue in layouts.  A hotfix would have done it, but i wanted the latest updates.

Anyway, hope to get it fixed today.

On the mouse part, i hate it :).  It's wireless, so i am losing a bit of reaction time (might be unnoticeable, and all in my head), but it is a lot heavier than my own mouse.
i'm using a old-school G5 mouse (not the blue one) and works like a charm. Untill i got a new laptop a few months back.  It doesn't like my old mouse (get USB disconnections sounds from time to time), so IT got this MX master 2.

Feels like twice as heavy i and don't like that. But for mobility it's good.
The 3 extra buttons don't add anything, my g5 also has 3 buttons (2 on the scroll-wheel and one on the side of the mouse), but i am not using any of them.

5 hours ago, OMEGA-ThundeR said:

You don't want to know how my IT person works....  It was even a burden for me to ask to remove the software, but this selection problem is slowing me down and frustrating my work.

Sounds like typical IT :playing: Managers can't make them do anything either, even if it is hurting production.. But whatever, if they don't get what they want... Well, you seem to understand 

5 hours ago, OMEGA-ThundeR said:

On the mouse part, i hate it :)

That's quite a bummer.. Glad I made the right choice then lol. IF you're entertaining the idea of an actually reliable mouse, I would suggest the G502 or G602. However given your inklings with the Master 2S I'd definitely look into the 502 rather than the 602. Not really extra buttons, conforms to nearly anyone's hand so it's very comfortable, wired, and comes with weights you can add/removed. It's the one I have at home & I love it to pieces.

Anyways, I'm done derailing this topic. I hope you get your issue resolved!

Take it easy,

- IC

Edited by Incognito Cube

Problem solved, had nothing to do with the mouse or software, but with the 2019.1.1 update from autodesk.  Problem is fixed in the 2019.1.2 update (don't search for hotfix, it's not available anymore :) )

The 2019.1.2 updates states this exact problem as fixed.

• Thanks 1