Online or Desktop Calculator Applet

MaxwellEdison

Does anyone use or know of a good calculator applet either online or available as freeware for the desktop? I've done a preliminary Google search, and rather than go through each option one by one, I'd like to see if anyone has any recommendations.

Basically I'd prefer one which will let me type in an equation with the standard keyboard symbols (+-*/^...etc) and keep my equation visible while displaying the answer, like most graphing calculators do.

For example, I'd prefer to input the Pythagorean Theorem as:

sqrt((.5^2)+(.25^2))

or

((.5^2)+(.25^2))^.5

or

((.5^2)+(.25^2))^(1/2)

I've considered just making a formulas page for Excel, but resources on my machine are regularly pushed to the limits when I'm working on a medium size project or better (That and it kinda seems like driving a nail into a board with a Buick, bit too unwieldy of a tool for the job)

Any recommendations or am I relegated to searching E-Bay for some disgruntled Calculus dropout's TI-89?

Basically, I'd like the functionality of that (the equation interface only really), but without the physical product. I had a TI-89 which was excellent (a great "solver" function which even did differential equations!) but Somewhere along the last 8 years it wandered off. I like the idea of having it on the computer more anyway.

Setting aside for a minute that you may actually find a disgruntle Calculus dropout willing to pay you to take their TI-89 – thus insuring they will never have to look at it again – AutoCAD’s QuickCalc does what you request.

QCalc.jpg

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Power Calculator

This calculator has the support to graph and evaluate functions as well as performing many different types of conversions.

@SEANT: Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was looking for a standalone product as I may need to run it while ACA was busy or not open at all. Thank you for the response though

@mdbdesign: That is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much.

Here's the link for anyone perusing this thread in the future.

@SEANT: Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was looking for a standalone product as I may need to run it while ACA was busy or not open at all. Thank you for the response though

Ah yes, I've heard that life goes on outside of the AutoCAD drawing editor. :)

@mdbdesign: That is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much.

Here's the link for anyone perusing this thread in the future.

Max, is there a version for Vista?

• 3 weeks later...