Help Needed:Slow Performance on Autocad 2005

thorik

Hello people, i have been using for a long time "Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2005" and now that i formated my disk and installed everything from scratch i have this problem with performance when opening Autocad.

The circle command takes some seconds to complete the circle...and moving things is really really slow.

I noticed that when i had no driver for my Graphics card installed the performance was better!!

When i later installed the drivers (GeForce Release 175 WHQL) Drivers for Geforce FX 5200 the problem was even bigger!! It is funny to look at the circle trying to close itself on the screen!!

Any Suggestions??

My System is:

Pentium 4 2.8ghz

1,5 gb ram

WIN XP SP3

Normally when one formats a disk and reloads everything they notice an improvement in performance and not a degradation. Seems very odd. Your comment about the drivers for the graphics card is even more odd (faster with generic driver).

Are there any service packs for Arch Desktop 05? Were they loaded as well?

Is it only ADT that's affected? That level of performance hit would usually point me towards a hardware problem, but if it is only ADT that would make it unlikely. Did you obtain the driver from nVidea or through Autodesk's website?

Also, what prompted reformating the PC, were you experiencing problems beforehand?

Hey thank you very much for the immediate replies!!

I reformated the system because of many irrelevant software that was installed making the system slow. At the previous system (same machine,same graphics card with a driver that i cant remember its version) i was using Autocad 2000 with no problem so i cannot tell if Autocad 2005 would work ok here.

At the new system i installed the latest driver from nvidia com for the specific range of products "Geforce Fx 5" (mine is fx 5200)

MaxwellEdison what do you mean by "downloading driver from autodesk website" ? is that possible? whatelse might have happened i dont know..i am so frustrated with it. I just cant work in this speed!!

I meant did you look for an Autocad specific driver, I did a quick search and nothing popped up for me so I'm not really considering that as the culprit. Try going HERE to Autodesk's support area for ADT 2005, Install the service pack and see if that helps, if not try some of the Hotfixes.

Your system doesn't seem to be underpowered for 2005 but its possible a memory leak is hogging system resources. The next time it slows down like you describe use Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the task manager. Look under the processes tab and report back the following information:

What does it say at the very bottom of the window, for instance mine currently says Processes: 29 | CPU usage: 0% |Commit Charge: 286M/3939M

Under the Image Name column you should see acad2005.exe, adt2005.exe, or something similar. What does it say under the CPU and Mem Usage columns for this process?

Moreover i have to add that almost the same installation of concurrent programs has been made to other 2 pc and they work perfect in adt2005!!

Some of the concurrent are : Symantec antivirus corporate edition, winrar, cadware 9.5, nero 6, office 2003, sql express (needed for some other specific program), that specific greek program, acronis true image and few more.

But i repeat : The same things are installed at other 2 pcs and work just fine. One of the other pcs is faster and the other is not faster! than the "problematic" one. All have different GPU's

Today i will unload the drivers of nvidia and test an Ati Radeon GPU

Are you working with the CAD files locally (off hard drive) or remotely (off network)? If network maybe it is a convoluted "pathing" problem.

I installed the Ati Radeon GPU which is better and it reacts a bit better but still not perfect.

The only critical differences between the "problematic" pc and the other 2 is that it has win xp sp3 and the other 2 have sp2. I will revert to sp2