Trying to Recover .sv$ Files

Jim Clayton

I'm trying to recover .sv$ files but only 1 is showing up for this particular drawing.  Shouldn't there be more if it's saving in 5 minute increments?

I don't believe AutoCAD creates a .sv$ every time the AutoSave feature is invoked during a drawing session.

Edited by ReMark

That may be the issue then.  It's possible that I'm getting .sv$ and .bak files confused.  I managed to make the most of what I had.  I appreciate the help.  Tks.

Normally you'll only see one .bak file created per drawing and that's if you have that feature enabled.  I think that with a custom lisp file users might be able to retain more than one .bak file but I might be mistaken.  I'd have to research that.

• 1 year later...

try to open your option menu, and then go to automatic save file location, then open the folder path under the file location

• 4 months later...

I'm having a slightly different problem with my autosaves.

I was working on a project this past week, and the power was cut to the building for a few hours, while I was out, so I didn't have a chance to save and shut down cleanly.

The autosave is recorded and I can see the .sv$ file for the autosave in it's win/temp folder where I store them.  But I can't open it.

It shows a file size of 3.03 meg, but when I try to recover it,  it does not appear in the folder, and if I double-click to open it I get an error message that the file does not exist or cannot be found. 

If I change the file extension to .dwg, I get the same error.  "cannot find the specified drawing file.  Please verify that the file exists", If I double-click it. 

If I try to use "recover" it just doesn't show up in the folder.  In fact, none of the autosaved files show up in the save location folder.

I tried copying the file to the desktop, which it did, still shows the 3.3 meg file size.  But doesn't appear in the list for "recover" and give the same error message if I try to double click.

What is, to me, even more strange, is that when I tried to drag/drop it into the original drawing, it gave me the option to create an xref in the original drawing file.  Which makes recreating the drawing somewhat easier, But I now have to trace the entire drawing project, unless there is some way to extract the drawing out of the xref, (I don't know of any such option).

I've been working with autocad since 1996, and I've never seen anything like this.

I'd really appreciate some assistance. 

thanks!

6 hours ago, GSR said:

when I tried to drag/drop it into the original drawing, it gave me the option to create an xref in the original drawing file.  Which makes recreating the drawing somewhat easier, But I now have to trace the entire drawing project, unless there is some way to extract the drawing out of the xref, (I don't know of any such option).

Why don't you bind the xref into the drawing. It will come in as a block which you can then explode.

Or forget about the  .sv$ file and just rename your .bak file to .dwg. You might lose a little bit of work, depending on when you last saved or autosaved, but the majority of your drawing should be there.