Can i modify 2017 solidworks file in 2018 solidworks?

Sengna

I was wondering will there be any issue later on if i modify the drawing in 2018 solidworks but the file was originally drawing in 2017 solidworks version, someone had informed me that Solidworks if the file is created in 2017  it must be opened in 2017 to edit or work on it.  is that true?

• 1 month later...

OK, thank you for reply.  wow what's a pain, why solidworks didn't have the feature to save backward like autocad.

If people are on subscription, there's really no reason to NOT upgrade to a current version. The amount of work that would be needed to make sure that a new feature in 2018 wouldn't break anything when being saved back to 2017 is VERY costly. Given that service pack 5 is basically a light version of the next release, you can use a loophole:

"You can open part and assembly files in read-only mode in Service Pack 5 of the previous release." (copied from the help file)