Openings in slabs - separating levels

Siberian

I'm placing some elements in my model that I use to show where I need openings for pipes and ducts. These typically penetrate the slab slightly on both sides to prevent them from "disappearing" in the slab element. This works well, but I'm having some trouble filtering out what I want displayed. If I want a view to show the openings in the slab above floor 3, I'm not able to filter out the elements showing the openings in the slab below. Simply adjusting the view range will also remove the link that I use as my underlay. I tried using a filter and the "Elevation from level" parameter, but that seems to evaluate the elevation from any level, not just the one my view is associated with. I would love any hints on how to make this work :)

There are many ways to do this, but for me, this is what I did: I created a few Generic Model families that represent my "openings", in which I place where I need, size them accordingly and they are equipped with Shared Parameters that make scheduling and tagging a breeze. They are specific to framed and sleeved openings, since I provide this in my documentation on almost every project. I have a Filter on certain View Templates that show/hide as necessary. I have the following in both rectangular and round shapes, for floors/slabs and for horizontal openings such as CMU or block walls: Sleeve, Penetration, Block Out Opening, Framed Opening, Curb Framed Opening, Core Opening. Because they're set up for my work flow, and they exist in my template, when I begin projects my structural opening plans get done very quickly and accurately. 

Let me also add that you want to adjust View Range only for things related to the View, and never for visibility of your own objects. I've learned in the past that trying to fudge the View Range slightly here or there to get my MEP specific items to "look right" or "turn on/off" is an abysmal rabbit hole that leads to hair pulling and yelling at monitors. These days, my View Ranges are set to the Current View's Level Slab at 0", then the Level Above Slab at 0" and it does not move for any reason other than some weird crazy never-before-seen issue within the architectural file that forces me to, but usually Plan Regions can solve those types of issues. Ultimately, setting the View Range to show Floor to Floor has worked out best in all cases, other than specialty Views that need to show something different. 

Hope this helps. 

-TZ

Edited by tzframpton