replacement for CAD 2004

Con954

I currently run AutoCAD 2004 32bit and have been for 15 years. AutoCAD 2004 does everything I need it to do but I recently bought a new computer with windows 10 64 bit. Can anyone recommend a good replacement program that will work similar to 2004 and still read all my dxf. dwg files. I have tried the demo of the new CAD 2018 and dont care for it plus I dont want to pay a monthly fee to run it. Would still like AutoCad but maybe 2010 or something similar and that I can buy outright. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can't buy older versions of Autocad but there all cheaper alternatives that you can buy, like Bricscad. The only issue would be that they are all going to look and feel like the newer versions of Autocad, so if you didn't like Autocad 2018, you're probably not going to like any of the alternatives.

You might want to take a look at Longbow to get your 2004 version running on Win10. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard other people having success getting their older versions running on a newer OS.

FYI: I have moved your question to the Autocad General section. The Feedback section is for comments about the forum.

The 1st question is what kind of work do you need to do with this CAD software? Here are some alternatives..

DraftSight - starts at $99/yr
NanoCAD - starts at $180 permanent license
CMS IntelliCAD PE 9.1 - starts at $149.95 for permanent license  (I'd try this one)

LibreCAD - free but it has a LONG way to go in my opinion to be usable

• 6 months later...

Use on your own risk. Never try it, just find it.

"Link removed" - f7

I am sorry, didn't know, looks legitimate.

Edited by mdbdesign
Link to illegal software

On 8/17/2019 at 3:14 PM, Con954 said:

I currently run AutoCAD 2004 32bit and have been for 15 years. AutoCAD 2004 does everything I need it to do but I recently bought a new computer with windows 10 64 bit.......

Don't change your AutoCAD, just get a Virtual programme on your Windows 10 machine to run your tried and tested AutoCAD.

I use VMware, and run Windows XP and Windows 98 on a Windows 10 machine. 

On 2/27/2020 at 12:16 PM, eldon said:

Don't change your AutoCAD, just get a Virtual programme on your Windows 10 machine to run your tried and tested AutoCAD.

I use VMware, and run Windows XP and Windows 98 on a Windows 10 machine. 

One problem with that is Autodesk stopped generating authorization codes for everything before 2010. You would need to contact the licensing team directly and be prepared to prove it's a legitimate copy.

However, if you create a VMware image from a working computer, you do not need to bother the licensing department. It works for me.