• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tiger

• dsheppard

• uddfl

• darn-net

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Function key osnap and command-customized osmode for the win.

command-customized OSMode? You mean that depending on which command you invoke, the OSMode changes? How have you done that?

For AutoCAD 2008+ users who prefer the Running OSNAP On, with PERpendicular unchecked in the settings.

You can create a Object Snap Overide for Perpendicular. So when you hold down assigned key or keys. It will, well, override.

I have just set mine up as "Shift+`" which allows left hand activation.

You will need to edit using the CUI to set this up.

Go to Keyboard Shortcuts, Temporary Override Keys, in the right pane assign a key to PERpendicular.

Quoted from the AutoCAD 2008 help file.

"While you work, you can turn running object snaps on and off temporarily by using an override key. Temporary override keys can also be used for other drawing aids; for example, Ortho mode and Polar mode.

For example, if you have set running object snaps but you want to turn them off for one point, you can hold down F3. When you release this override key, running object snaps are restored.

There are also temporary override keys for individual object snaps. Override keys are set up to be easy to find by touch without looking away from your drawing."

Read more on this in your help file.

Dave

"Most of what I know came from the "F1" key"

command-customized OSMode? You mean that depending on which command you invoke, the OSMode changes? How have you done that?
I don't use the PGP file for command aliases, but instead I've written a lisp routine for each of the most common commands. It's not perfect, but over the years I've polished it and it works OK. That way, for instance, when my offset command prompts for the first distance point, perpendicular is not there, but it comes up when picking the second point. My dimension commands only use end, cen, and int (iirc), etc. However, I still find myself typing end, mid, etc. at times, which I guess is just a habit, but I don't really mind... I can sleep well at night knowing that things are snapped correctly in my drawings.:lol:

I don't use the PGP file for command aliases, but instead I've written a lisp routine for each of the most common commands. It's not perfect, but over the years I've polished it and it works OK. That way, for instance, when my offset command prompts for the first distance point, perpendicular is not there, but it comes up when picking the second point. My dimension commands only use end, cen, and int (iirc), etc. However, I still find myself typing end, mid, etc. at times, which I guess is just a habit, but I don't really mind... I can sleep well at night knowing that things are snapped correctly in my drawings.:lol:

So let's say when you type M for Move, it's not the command MOVE that pops up, but your Move-lisp? And that has snaps connected to it?

hmm..interesting.

I wake up at night all in cold sweat when I consider the habits of my fellow cadders - some have all snaps running all the time - including Nearest.... *shudder*

So let's say when you type M for Move, it's not the command MOVE that pops up, but your Move-lisp? And that has snaps connected to it?

hmm..interesting.

Sort of, I still invoke (command "move") in the lisp routine, but change the osnaps while the command is running:

(defun c:v ()
 (setvar "orthomode" 1)
 (command "_.move" (ssget) "")
 (setvar "autosnap" 5)
 (setvar "osmode" 127)
 (command pause)
 (setvar "osmode" 191)
 (setvar "autosnap" 21)
 (princ)
)

I wake up at night all in cold sweat when I consider the habits of my fellow cadders - some have all snaps running all the time - including Nearest.... *shudder*
Oh god, yes. Not long ago I used to work with this old timer who used to eyeball stuff. He got fired due to his terrible draftsmanship, and to this day I think he bull****'d his way into the position to begin with. I called him "NEAPPINT".

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I have a twist for you geniuses.

I work at different computers from time to time in my office, and so far in one year I have been at three different personal computers as leases have run out. So no matter how someone has personalized their AutoCAD, I know the standard commands will usually work. Not always. People will redefine the standard one-letter abbreviations to suit themselves, then I find myself typing "MOVE" or "CIRCLE" or whatever, or going to drop-down menus, or docking the snap toolbar.

I really appreciate the advice that works in this case, such as shift/right click. But if I had to use uddfl's computer, I think I'd either love it and never let him back in the cubicle, or I'd hate it and curse his name to Bill Gates.

My solution to gid rid of the diabolical PER first point snap has been to leave all the Osnaps on, and either scroll through with Tab, or move the mouse and come at the point from a different angle and it sometimes changes the snap, or finally typing INT or END or MID. Usually it's one of those three.

Just yesterday, I snapped to a corner of a rectangle, PER came up and I was quick with the trigger and clicked. It looked perfect so I used it. But soon it got to me, and I zoomed in and checked. Sure enough, damn thing was 1/32" off the intersection.

I work at different computers from time to time in my office, and so far in one year I have been at three different personal computers as leases have run out. So no matter how someone has personalized their AutoCAD, I know the standard commands will usually work. Not always. People will redefine the standard one-letter abbreviations to suit themselves, then I find myself typing "MOVE" or "CIRCLE" or whatever, or going to drop-down menus, or docking the snap toolbar. [...] if I had to use uddfl's computer, I think I'd either love it and never let him back in the cubicle, or I'd hate it and curse his name to Bill Gates.
Happens to my co-workers all the time. Buhahahahaha :twisted:

But it happens to me too, the other way: as a result of having gotten used to with my very own set of shortcuts, when I go to another computer it takes me a minute or two before realizing I have to use the regular aliases and that my 'magic stuff' is not there. However, I'm still fast enough without my shortcuts, as evidenced by tests I've taken at potential employers' computers. As you said well, "no matter how someone has personalized their AutoCAD, I know the standard commands will usually work" (as long as you know the actual commands/variables, and not just aliases or icons).

Just yesterday, I snapped to a corner of a rectangle, PER came up and I was quick with the trigger and clicked. It looked perfect so I used it. But soon it got to me, and I zoomed in and checked. Sure enough, damn thing was 1/32" off the intersection.
Exactly. This is why I tend to specifically call for the osnap needed -- it ensures accuracy. It is possible to click too quickly (we've all done it at one point) and the thing changes on you from one osnap to another without you noticing it.

I use the per command all the time where i work in the rail industry and never had a problem with it

Just to be clear, the discussion is talking about running osnaps where you have multiple osnaps set, including per.

I never use multiple running osnaps, if I need endp over and over then I set just that one, otherwise I keep osnaps off and use my F Keys for the osnap I need at the moment.

Just to be clear, the discussion is talking about running osnaps where you have multiple osnaps set, including per.

I never use multiple running osnaps, if I need endp over and over then I set just that one, otherwise I keep osnaps off and use my F Keys for the osnap I need at the moment.

Ah right, in that case i've only got 4 running all the time, endpoint, midpoint,

centre and quadrant, iff I need any of the others I just quickly type in the

alias.