When revision block is full

Craigh

Afternoon All,

Updating some drawings (electrical) and the revision block is full, what would be the best way to continue.

The company I work for doesn't have a drafting standard/procedure, so at the moment the electricians are the only dept updating drawings.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Do you mean that there is no space to add new revision letters?

I've used 3 different methods at different workplaces.

The first would simply be to overwrite the oldest revision block with the new revision.
That was how it was done in pre-CAD days of pen and paper, with CAD you can shuffle them along to keep them in order.

The second would be to copy the whole drawing, blank out the revision blocks, and start again at the new revision.
The old drawing would be marked diagonally in large letters "Cancelled see revision #'" and archived.

The third was basically the same as the second but the new copy of the drawing would be given a new drawing number and started at revision 'A'.
The revision block for A would say "Replaces drawing Number #####" and then list the changes made.
The old drawing would be marked "Cancelled - Replaced by Drawing Number ######".

I've also seen it done where there is only one revision block, which just gets overwritten with each new revision.
The new revision is saved as drawing number plus revision. eg. 1A123456-C.dwg, 1A123456-D.dwg, and so on.
The old revision is marked 'Cancelled- See revision #' and archived.
Easy to do with cad, and means that old revisions are always available if needed.

All 4 methods work, which you use depends on how much tracability you want of old revisions, and how much of a hassle it would be to change the drawing number on other systems. (Ordering, workflow, etc. systems), usually that's no more difficult than changing the revision letter on those systems.

Edited by nukecad

We worked like Nukecad a revision was a new dwg so 2019030 became 2019030-rev1 and so on, we had like 5 lines for rev descriptions so I guess if a sixth would have moved down the rev list.  We also had 201903-PA which meant it was a prelim dwg. 201903-A meant it was a tender dwg so after contracts and anything updated it would become 201903-0, rev title = "Issued for construction".

Edited by BIGAL