Reinstating Blocks

bruce13557

I recently accidently deleted a block of a complex door from my drawing, It happened a while ago so I couldn't undo.

I found an old version before some modification on an autosave and copied it into my drawing (copy/paste) thinking that I would have to re-modify it but it auomatically updated to the current version. (I have no complaints about that).

That got me wondering, if all the block information is retained in a drawing even if the block is deleted is it possible to retrieve a deleted block? 

SLW is correct. I would just add that blocks have a definition and instances. There is only one definition. When you insert a block, you're inserting an instance (or copy) of the definition. That's why, when you change a block in the block editor, the change is reflected in every instance. You can delete every instance of a block in your drawing, but as long as you don't purge the definition, you can always insert more instances.

To add another point, you discovered this behaviour because the blocks have the same name! and a drawing that has a block definition will use the definition that is currently in the drawing, hence when you inserted the old block it appeared as the new version. If you had tried inserting this new version into the old drawing then you would get an old block, because the old block definition would take precedence (you can update blocks in an older drawing using the 'redefine' option when you try and insert a newer version).

To add another point, often in a program grab another dwg (ie a block) and insert to 0,0,0 then erase last, this as said before now makes the block exposed to a program using insert Block.

• 2 months later...

it's also easier now to see exactly what block definitions are associated with your drawing per the blocks palette.

it will show you a thumbnail preview of each block instead of just a list form.