• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ferronovum

• eldon

• rustysilo

• Charles Roberts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's cool. If you have any interest in learning more about LandXML look at the website LandXML.org.

Thanx for the link. Am learning xml due too a careerchange probely later this year. And the company that's intressted in me have a wish that I learn xml so this is a good practice for it.

And the xml is truely "eXtensive":wacko:

I suppose you have already looked into w3schools.com?

Thanx again for useful links:D

No I haven't seen that page yet. Took a short look at it just now.

Since you seams like someone how knows programming then I wonder:

Is there a program that can read the xsd-file and present it as "relative tree" with for ex the LandXML ancester at the top and parents with childs under. And what values it accept.

Something like this:

O

/ \

O O

/ \

O O

Now am I using http://www.landxml.org/schema/LandXML-1.2/LandXML-1.2.xsd in IE using search the page command working my way up and down in the document trying to find who's child is who's.:unsure:

Sorry can't help you there. Not so much with programming as with web design. HTML, XHTML, & CSS are the bulk of my experience. That's how I knew about w3schools. :wink: I had considered learning XML, but never really got that far. Don't really have a lot of time for extracurricular learning.

Another way to get the points into AutoCAD would be to use the importxyz lisp on Jeffrey P. Sanders' site, but I don't know about doing the TIN or MESH from them that way except for manually adding 3d faces and well, that could take a while. Then you would still need to add breaklines somehow.

So much easier with a civil cad product. Civil 3d, survcad, microsurvey, carlson, eagle point, so on and so on.

Well had a change of planing. Decide to get Civil 3D 2009 since SiteTopo didn't manage to load my homemade LandXML file.

No, the LandXML is correct, I validated it at Landxml.org. I think there is 2 problem;:x

1. SiteTopo doesn't export LandXML as a valid LandXML file, Contours end up in the wrong place. So Import may not be accurat.

2. My data is too large,:huh: resolution is is 40 000 points on a area of 200x200 meter. I need that resolution to start with due to the looks of the ground. Maybe I can change it in the few flat areas later.

Any good tip how to start with Civil3D?

resolution is is 40 000 points on a area of 200x200 meter. I need that resolution to start with due to the looks of the ground

This doesn't make sense. You should only need the actual data you got in the field, if you can send that data in whatever format (.xls is fine) I would appreciate it.

Hmmm...

Any chance you could email me that .xml file to look at?

I am the author of SiteTopo and would like to find/fix any bugs.

admin@sitetopo.com

Check your email. I hope you find it useful in debugging SiteTopo.

And Thanx for a great app. I really like the rain function:thumbsup:

I received three files, a simple grid of 0...200 on x,y axis. Zero elevation for each point.

You must have something more if you want contours, right?

Yeah. I do too. Much more fun to use than the boring water drop function that Civil 3d and its predecessors have.

If you do move forward with a purchase of Civil 3d then just post your questions here. Go to my tips and tutorials thread where you will find some help with getting your points in there.

Hopefully Charles will get things sorted out with the landxml import/export so you won't have to make the purchase as that would be a waste of money unless you plan to do many more projects like this or get a civil related job.

I received three files, a simple grid of 0...200 on x,y axis. Zero elevation for each point.

You must have something more if you want contours, right?

If you check the Changes.xml file there you will find the contours that I was planning to use (The chain)

If you check the Changes.xml file there you will find the contours that I was planning to use (The chain)

I think you are confused on several levels. As I said, there are no elevation changes in your data files. That means there are no contours.

1 2 3 4 5 6 1

Yes I found your reference, but what does this mean?

there you will find the contours that I was planning to use

If you already have the contours you were "planning to use" then why use the program at all? This doesn't make any sense.

Yeah. I do too. Much more fun to use than the boring water drop function that Civil 3d and its predecessors have.

If you do move forward with a purchase of Civil 3d then just post your questions here. Go to my tips and tutorials thread where you will find some help with getting your points in there.

Hopefully Charles will get things sorted out with the landxml import/export so you won't have to make the purchase as that would be a waste of money unless you plan to do many more projects like this or get a civil related job.

Well I just moved forward with Civil 3D. So I'm trying to figure out how to start up with templates and so. And imported the LandXML file, but ended up with imperial settings. even tried to import the garage drawing wich is in millimeter and the border in meters. The garage was alot larger then the land. Shouldn't Civil 3D know that the drawings are using different units?

I think you are confused on several levels. As I said, there are no elevation changes in your data files. That means there are no contours.

1 2 3 4 5 6 1

Yes I found your reference, but what does this mean?

If you already have the contours you were "planning to use" then why use the program at all? This doesn't make any sense.

Well about the contours, you're right, I think I mixed them up with borders of the land. Didn't read the whole definition on contour in my dictionary. The Chain is a sequense of polyline if I reed the def proprely. It shall refer to CgPoints. all according to http://www.landxml.org/schema/LandXML-1.2/LandXML-1.2.xsd

I'm trying to find a way to mark the borders without interfereing with the surface as breaklines does.

Didn't read the whole definition on contour in my dictionary

The Chain is a sequense of polyline if I reed the def proprely

You should refer the work to someone qualified. You are not.

I don't know what you're using the survey for, but here in the United States the precision depends on what the final product is intended for. There are some projects that require closures of more than 1:500,000 . If you plan on making a plat, minimums are anywhere from 1: 5,000 to 1:40,000 .

Like Eldon said, if you are measuring using tape, there will be a lot of error accumulated with the slack in the tape, the angle in relation to the ground, and it is far harder to take the actual measurement accurately. You can use an invar tape to minimize these problems.

If you had a way to measure the angles to the second, you could do all the work by triangulation & get remarkable results. You would simply turn angles to the objects from 2 of your stations (no distances involved) and the location would be represented by intersection. The accuracy would go up as the distances became farther away (allowing more distance to line up the angle).

I would guess that there are rudimentary ways of getting precise angle measurements (mechanical theodolites being one of them). You may be able to find an older model for fairly cheap.

If you find this available, you could mark all your points & then run levels to them seperately. I think it would decrease the time location work would take dramatically.

Yea, I was a little harsh, but statements like this:

SiteTopo didn't manage to load my homemade LandXML file.

No, the LandXML is correct, I validated it at Landxml.org

bother me. For the record, the program does parse his 40000(!) point file, loads all the points, recognizes that the elevations are bogus, and (correctly) produces no contours.

No computer program is going to help him if he does not understand what he is doing, although he does seem smart enough.

Yea, I was a little harsh, but statements like this:

bother me. For the record, the program does parse his 40000(!) point file, loads all the points, recognizes that the elevations are bogus, and (correctly) produces no contours.

No computer program is going to help him if he does not understand what he is doing, although he does seem smart enough.

Dear Charles.

I'm pleased that you say you were a little harsh cuz yesterday I was pretty upset and wrote a quite long argument and explaination. "Lucky" I'm working on an old computer with heatproblems. What happend was that my computer got locked and the heatalarm went on am I lost the things I wrote.

Making a new try now to post but with a different angle of view.

I spent 4,5 years at yhe University of Karlstad, Sweden. My studies where widely spread and I don't have any diploma. My main studies where in Electrical eningeer, Computer sience and Math. Sadly my weak point is Transfoms like Z-transform, Fouier-transform and so on. That made me abort the studies on the highest level. So the courses I have are mostly A and B level, some C but none D courses wich I need for the diploma. Instead I toke alot of courses widely spread in different areas. Had finger in almost every deparment ( not bio-chemistry or chemistry). It went so long that some ppl, both students and teachers, thought I worked at the university. Escpacially in a commitee working with computernetwork and security questions that I was represented the students.

Some of my closest friends back then where studdying GIS (Geo. Information System) and I have been active within skiorienteering and orienteering since childhood. So I think I'm good enough to work my way trough this and make the needed plans that I need.

Actually, an handdrawn plan showning boarder, placemnets of the buildings in scale 1:500 and a layout with exterior views in scale 1:100 is all I need.

I just want to make it look more professional than a handdrawn plan.

I have the sparetime to do this and I want to do it in educational purpose.

About the contours so is it a definition question, Contours doesn't always mean the elevation. You can say the contours of a building. The skyline of New York for an example is a contour. What I was refereing to was that I wanted to display the borders. since I didn't find anything on borders and din't to use breaklines I assumed contours of the border. Later I found that contours in this case refered to elevation.

My english isn't what it was 6-7 years ago since I've been working for Manpower in the carindustry with, well "nonqualifyed" assignments and if I'm not stimulated I drop some of the collected knowlegd I have, Meaning I'm a bit rusty in termaloligy and english along with new programs(some updates, over 10 years for autocad, and Civil 3D is totally new for me).

The + for my is that I solve problems easy. I often see solutions that no one else se and my solutions differs from others. I like doing things my way