Bespoke Furniture Visualization carrier path

pawel brzezinski

Hello, everyone,

I'm in charge of bespoke furniture assembly. My boss plans to hire someone in 3-4 months to visualize the furniture in order to be presented to the client before starting work on the project.

I would like to extend my qualifications with the ability to create furniture visualization.

At the moment it looks that we have a person who does the projects  WoddWOP 7.1 for the HOMAG BHX 055 CNC machine and a person who cuts projects on the CNC.

I'd like to learn/ to invest in course that will enable me:
- creating a 3d/2d visualisation of the furniture project and rendering it,
- placing the visualization on the photos of the room taken at the client's house.

In my free time, I deal with graphics design- websites and business cards so Graphic Design is not unknown to me.

However, I am not at all familiar with the above-mentioned issues and I would ask you for tips on how to bite the subject:
- what software to learn?
- maybe some complex courses you can suggest?

I live and work in London. I have a certain amount of money set aside that I would like to spend on my personal development and it seems like a great opportunity to achieve this.

I'm sorry if my questions are too general but I don't even know exactly what to ask, so please forgive me ;)

Am I correct that you are a total newbie to AutoCad?

If so, you sound pretty self motivated, and likely knowledgable if you are into the assembly of nice furniture.

AutoCad is pretty easy to get the hang of, and you could likely learn most of what you would need online, at your own pace and convenience.

Which doesn't necessarily mean slowly, if you are highly motivated.

By availing yourself of as much spare time as you have, you might really be able to fast track your studies.

When I wanted to learn Cad about 12 years ago, I spent a week studying on MYCADSITE.COM

You have the option of buying the download package, or you can use it for free online.

The course is very well designed to get one up to speed pretty quickly.

After which I had a pretty good basic understanding of how to use the software.

I later took a 3 day intensive AutoCad approved course in which I learned just about nothing.

I still enjoyed taking it, but didn't really get much out of it.

There are also lots of great instructional resources on this site, and tons more on YouTube which really help.

There is always more to learn, if one is so inclined, but for rudimentary 3D Modeling there is not all that much to learn.

Which program is a huge question, to which you will get lots of different answers.

3D modeling in AutoCad is pretty old school compared to Inventor, Solidworks and a host of others.

It might just be a gateway drug, or not, but it is an easy option to sort of test the waters and get your feet wet.

As you have experience with graphic design I should think you will find it pretty easy.

Good luck, and welcome to CADTutor.  :beer:

After about 4 days spent learning the ropes I created the .dwg file in the screenshot, just for fun.

Good for nothing, but as an exercise in using the tools which I was starting to use and enjoy.

I still love using them.

image.thumb.png.31d7b9c0482485456988a8b6c42febd6.png

Furniture can be very complicated 3dsolids and these days CNC machining is a big part, like Dadgad look at other than Autocad want nurbs in the software.

there are going to be so many options. I have worked in that industry fo a long time, and there a great many software packages that are designed specially for furniture manufacturing, but staying with AutoDesk, one I would look at is Fusion 360. I don't use it a lot but it is fairly straight forward, it allows you to do rendering and animations, and for personal use (even for small business's - up to 100K a year) it is free to use. There a great many tutorials on Youtube, here's a post about rendering which a quick google search turned up.

I'd also suggest having a word with your boss and ask exactly what type of results, and even what software they would expect the future perspective employee to be using, most companies have an idea of what they are looking for to start with.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, pawel brzezinski said:

I'd like to learn/ to invest in course that will enable me:
- creating a 3d/2d visualisation of the furniture project and rendering it,
- placing the visualization on the photos of the room taken at the client's house.

I used to do a lot of this sort of thing using 3D Studio Max. It has some really nice functionality that allows you to insert the photo of the room and then set up your rendering camera to match the camera used to take the photo. Then you simply maneuver your model around until you have it placed where you want it, in relation to the photo, and hit render. Of course, you have to set up your materials, and make sure the lighting matches the light sources in the photo and you have to place shadow catchers around the model to capture shadows, etc., but after you get everything set up, you hit render and you will get a complete image of the room and the furniture model without having to do any post work in Photoshop. Or you can render the model without the background image and composite in Photoshop. It's up to you. The downside to 3D Studio Max is that it's very expensive and it has a steep learning curve. So it may not be the best option for your situation.

These days, I think most 3D programs have the same sort of functionality though, so like Steven-g said, it would be best to talk to your boss about what he expects. Some bosses want very simple, quick and dirty, conceptual style renders while others might want complete realism. It all depends on how fast it needs to be done and how much money is in the budget. In my experience, the boss always wants it done fast, cheap and great which is a complete impossibility, as the graphic below illustrates.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Funny 2

@Cad64 that is an outstanding graphic, thanks for posting it.

It reminds me of one of my all time favorite T-shirts,

Which said...

Pick two

GOOD

FAST

CHEAP

But this is even better for all the nuance.  :beer:

• Like 1