Numbered List Using Callouts

lunbryd

My company's standard for listing construction notes is to show each number inside a hexagon so it looks just like the callouts we place in the drawing (see screenshot). The problem is that as you modify, add, and remove notes in the list you have to manually move the numbered hexagons to stay in line with the notes.

sheet-notes.png

I would like to come up with a workaround for having to manually move the numbered hexagons every time we update the notes but I'm not sure how to attack it. I figured the easiest solution would be if you could customize the numbering in an MTEXT numbered list so it shows the number with a hexagon around it but I don't believe that's possible. I also thought about using LISP but I'm somewhat of a novice in writing it, plus the user would likely have to run the routine each time they update the notes (which means they may forget to do so). I guess I'm leaning towards trying to accomplish this task using a dynamic block but thus far I can't figure out how I would make it function properly.

Has anyone ever run into a similar situation and what was your solution? Or does anyone have any ideas on how this could be accomplished? It seems like something that could be done, in theory, and it would certainly add efficiency on projects but I can't seem to come up with a solid solution.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

There are a few ways to do this.

What I would do is make the hexagon and associated numbering a separate block - the number within the hexagon being an attribute definition with center/middle justification.

After the attdef text and hexagon are created, you can copy and paste it as its own block.

You can then double click the number if you need to change it.

That would probably be the simplest method.

The note text would just be mtext with top left justification.

So it stays in position with respect to the number blocks.

You could also just create one MTEXT object for all your notes, then position your numbering blocks to align as needed.

Some folks savvy with LISP routines could probably allow for the creation of this entire thing as its own block.

With each new line of text automatically being assigned a new number with the hexagon.

-ChriS