More Metric scaling questions

JamFam

Hi everyone. It seems my joy in figuring out how to scale in viewport was short lived. It seems that when I scale in viewport 50:1 my drawings are accurate, change the scale to 1:30 or 1:40 and the numbers I'm reading on the scale ruler are not even close. For example a rectangle measuring 3726 x 1170 in model space produces 147 x 46 on a 1:30 scale in viewport. Or maybe I'm just not reading the 1:30, 1:40 scale ruler properly????

Also How can I plot in model space and still produce an accurate plotted drawing on any scale?

I'm using autocad 2000.

Thanks

JamFam

1:30 is a non standard scale unless you have a ruler with it on 1:40 you can use 1:20 x 2 and can work it out.

I would use the layout tabs via a viewport set to scale and then you always plot this at 1:1 and your view port will be correct scale also.

Hi, sorry for not replying sooner, I have been working night and day to get these drawings finished. In regards to viewport, I no absoultely nothing about scaling in viewport. I draw my images full scale in model space then click on the layout1 tab at the bottom of my screen to view my drawing that way. I can double click on the border within the layout and select the scale that way but these scales don't seem to be printing out to scale, also I don't have the option of scaling 1:5 from the drop down menu which is frustrating and I don't know how to enter a custom size. I'm sure that there are some descent lessons from the site but I don't have the luxury of time at the moment. I am looking for a quick fix for now and once I'm done I will spend more time learning the intricacy of scaling in metric.

I hope that helps clarify things.

JamFam

"I can double click on the border within the layout and select the scale that way but these scales don't seem to be printing out to scale, also I don't have the option of scaling 1:5 from the drop down menu which is frustrating and I don't know how to enter a custom size."

Could it be that the drawing doesn't print out to the correct scale because you are not printing 1:1 from your layout?

Re: scaling 1:5

If you highlight your viewport then right-click and select Properties you should see under the heading MISC the entries Standard Scale and Custom Scale.

My scale in plot setting is set to 1:1. In regards to the 1:5 scale setting in custom. Yes custom scale is seen just below standard scale but there are no sizes to choose from hence the "custom" size. I don't know how to enter a 1:5 scale size within the custom scale line as it requires some kind of decimal value.

thanks

JamFam

Turn on the vports toolbar it has a box in it when you pick a viewport it tels you what the current scale is you change it by putting in a number in the box say 2 = 1:500 10 = 1:100 remember to lock the view port so you dont accidently rescale it.

One thing I do is zoom to display what I want, then look at the number and change it to the correct scale factor increase or decrease vport to suit.

Why 2 as above simple 1m = 1000mm factor 2 = 1000/2 =500 ie 1:500

Also How can I plot in model space and still produce an accurate plotted drawing on any scale?

There is a simple way of plotting accurately from Model Space, but whenever I have mentioned it, there was a great howl of scorn from all those Paper Space aficionados that the advice seems to get lost, and those seeking help are forcibly directed to the Paper Space path.

First you have to set up blocks which contain the lines of the frame, and then insert those blocks AT THE SCALE FOR PLOTTING, position the frame (set limits to the frame edge), then plot to limits at your chosen scale. That could hardly be simpler, and no losing scale if you happen to zoom.

Now for the blocks. I use the overall dimensions of the sheet size less 15mm all the way round, but this edge dimension can be altered for choice.

A0 Sheet 841 x 1189 - Frame 811 x 1159

A1 Sheet 594 x 841 - Frame 564 x 811

A2 Sheet 420 x 594 - Frame 390 x 564

A3 Sheet 297 x 420 - Frame 267 x 390

Make a separate drawing for each sheet size and call them A0, A1 etc. Draw the frame so that the bottom left hand corner is at 0,0 and save them. When you want to plot, just insert the appropriate block at the scale you want.

You are now set up for a lifetime of accurate plotting at any scale you could imagine from Model Space (unless you get persuaded that you need to plot from Paper Space).

• 5 years later...

ross: You do realize how simple the process is that eldon outlined is don't you?

1. Create your library of titleblock and border drawings.

2. Create your new drawing.

3. Insert one of your titleblock and border drawings as a block into the drawing you just created.

4. Plot the drawing to scale.

ross: You do realize how simple the process is that eldon outlined is don't you?

1. Create your library of titleblock and border drawings.

2. Create your new drawing.

3. Insert one of your titleblock and border drawings as a block into the drawing you just created.

4. Plot the drawing to scale.

Yeah but sometimes things need to be explained to me like I'm a 3 year old. And seeing something being done is a lot easier to duplicate than reading text.

That sounds like you're stalling. Try it with an A4 size sheet; simple title block and border. It is not that difficult. Remember you are doing everything in model space so there is no layout or viewport to deal with.

Edited by ReMark