Basic Survey Related Functions

therock005

So lets say i have a close polyline which represent a plot (piece of privately owned land). I want create a table where it lists coordinates with letter numbers (so i need me vertices to be named a,b,c,d, etc( and also have a line table but instead of L1,L2 to have the name of vertices so for example a line between a and b is called AB instead of L1). And i want these tables to be merged. I have lisps that can do this, but i wonder if this can be done from Civil Directly. Since Civil has a dynamic relation with each object and it updates changes. Cause so far, i have to draw this table when everything is absolutely final, and in case i make any changes i have to be mindful and reruns lisp routines to be sure that table has accurate and up to date information

Googling lot labelling CIV3D did it give any hints ? 

It may be  feasible using Fields, you can add two fields together for numbers have not tried for text. So would give AB 123.45 45 32' 33"

Did some stuff that uses the lot no for the searching. So would be a make new table maybe option. As finding deleted lines may be difficult. 

Lot 1

AB..........

BC ..........

CD ..........

lot2

DE.........

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2021 at 4:40 AM, therock005 said:

but i wonder if this can be done from Civil Directly. Since Civil has a dynamic relation with each object and it updates changes. 

What have you tried? Are you working with Parcels in Civil 3D?

On 3/11/2021 at 4:48 PM, rkmcswain said:

What have you tried? Are you working with Parcels in Civil 3D?

I havent tried anything. I'm experimenting on a friends workstation. Dont really know the difference between lots and parcel and how civil operates. I'm using Vanilla autocad along with lisps and various modules gathered from all over the place ,and i;m trying to figure out whether investing in civil will suit my needs.

So what do you propose on my initial question

If your serious about CIVIL design or land surveying then CIV3D or other civil add on like Civil Site Design & Stringer. Its about time savings. 

Edited by BIGAL

I am a land surveyor. Its all about automating mundane tasks. I dont require centerlines and profiles and civil capabilities

I ve seen lots of software like these, and they seem mighty helpful and full-featured. My problem is they have their own database in relation to whats happening inside autocad and most of the time you have to remember to update some dynamic function when changes are happening. This is my main concern.

I'm operating outside the US (Southern Europe Actually) and the guideline when producing plans are weird. For example when you draft a survey plan for a property (plot, house) you need to label each polyline vertex and have a corrdinate-distance table drawn. If this was happening directly from civil that has each own database this would be best since changes would be made real time.

For the time being i have experimented with Carlson in the past. And lets say i change the geometry of a Vertex. I'll have to remember to update the CRD, then redraw update the coordinate table, and then refresh the area information wherever its mentioned in text. This could easily result in errors if im not careful.

Thats just an example of what worries me, when using 3rd party software solutions and lisps

On 3/20/2021 at 4:27 AM, therock005 said:

I am a land surveyor. Its all about automating mundane tasks. I dont require centerlines and profiles and civil capabilities

Years ago Survey could be bought separately but it's been part of Civil packages for a while now. It's many times more involved than AutoCAD and takes quite a while to set up every point, description, line, and description key set. Then you have set up the sheets and views you'll be using.

Civil is well worth it though as it automates so much you can create a set of plans rather quickly. Plan to transition to it keeping your current system till you're ready. As a fellow Licensed Land Surveyor I recommend importing (FBK) Field Book files as they add survey networks which can easily be checked adjusted and linked together.