Any way to increase performance for laptops?

neuri

When I try to edit something in the modelspace from the viewport in Layouts, it is laggy, my commands would sometimes take 1 second to process. But moving around the Layout without the Modelspace selected is fine.

On a desktop however, there is no lag.

My desktop is a Ryzen 2600, 1070ti, 16gb ram.

The laptop is a Lenovo P15 Gen 1, i7 10750H, nVidia T1000, 16gb ram.

I already forced Windows to use the T1000 in autocad, downloaded the latest nVidia drivers etc. Is there anything else I can do to make it smoother?

You might want to try, if I understand you correctly, using the MAXIMIZE VIEWPORT functionality?

Click on a viewport to select it, then in the right click shortcut menu choose MAXIMIZE VIEWPORT,

or if you have it turned on, you can find it on your Status Bar.

If you are inside an activated Viewport, choose it from your Status Bar.

After doing whatever you want to do hit the MINIMIZE VIEWPORT icon to go back to your layout in Paperspace.

it is just from big drawings because we have to bid for government projects, the CAD files are typically full of equipment etc. i removed the xrefs and the blocks are nothing too complicated.

i just tried it again, it is smooth as anything on my desktop, but on my laptop it lags. latest drivers etc. etc. I am using the same profile, same settings for autocad.

is it just a matter of the T1000 quadro being underpowered?

Do you have the latest update 2021.1 for Autocad?

Try turning hardware accelaration off, options-system-graphics performance.

Try turning linesmoothing off

Try turning linefading off

11 hours ago, steven-g said:

Do you have the latest update 2021.1 for Autocad?

Try turning hardware accelaration off, options-system-graphics performance.

Try turning linesmoothing off

Try turning linefading off

for some reason, this made it worse.

anyway, if Autocad provides drivers, where can i find them? cause I always go to nvidia for the latest "production ready" drivers.

12 hours ago, lrm said:

It wouldn't hurt to run Task Manager on both computers to see if something else is affecting the performance on the laptop, e.g., an antivirus program.

i do have an anti virus on my work laptop but on my old work Desktop, there was also an anti virus and i just tried it out, it is smooth too.

my old work desktop is an i7 2600, 8gb of ram, radeon HD 7000 series. it's still on windows 7, and its running autocad 2014 LT. and it's on a HDD whereas the laptop uses a SSD.

is it just a case of laptops being "gimped", you sacrifice power for portability.

Edited by neuri

9 hours ago, neuri said:

anyway, if Autocad provides drivers, where can i find them? cause I always go to nvidia for the latest "production ready" drivers.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware?id=18844534&siteID=123112 

I have actually solved or improved graphics card performance by rolling back drivers at times, so try rolling back or getting some older drivers if the latest AutoCAD driver doesn't help, I also have had good luck at times with the "not ready for production drivers" from nVidia.

Are you positive AutoCAD uses the NVidia card? See this....https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD-uses-the-wrong-graphics-card.html

What is the clock speed on your laptop? What are the complete specifications on your laptop? Are the drawings on the local drive or network drive? Are you using a separate monitor?

To answer your question, yes, using a Laptop sacrifices some quality for portability. Heat is usually a big factor in Laptops as well as limited power supply. Though a workstation laptop should still handle simple AutoCAD tasks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BIGAL said:

In windows you can set which graphics card to use for a program, I know reset mine. Just trying to remember how I did it.

I did this in windows 10 graphics settings.

17 hours ago, SLW210 said:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware?id=18844534&siteID=123112 

I have actually solved or improved graphics card performance by rolling back drivers at times, so try rolling back or getting some older drivers if the latest AutoCAD driver doesn't help, I also have had good luck at times with the "not ready for production drivers" from nVidia.

Are you positive AutoCAD uses the NVidia card? See this....https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD-uses-the-wrong-graphics-card.html

What is the clock speed on your laptop? What are the complete specifications on your laptop? Are the drawings on the local drive or network drive? Are you using a separate monitor?

To answer your question, yes, using a Laptop sacrifices some quality for portability. Heat is usually a big factor in Laptops as well as limited power supply. Though a workstation laptop should still handle simple AutoCAD tasks.

I dont think i can disable onboard in BIOS, it is password protected but i can try on monday when I am back in the office. But yes, I am using the HDMI port to an external 23" 1080p monitor.