Dynamic Block Simple Slide Up and Slide Down

rcb007

I am trying to figure out how to create a dynamic block that can slide up or down? I basically have a rectangle, I want to be able to slide (stretch) the right side up or down while keeping the distance between the two corners the same. I know how to make it go one direction with the linear parameter and stretch action.

thank you. 

When you are in the block editor. In the "dimensional" part of the ribbon there are constraints. These will keep your object intact while using the stretch command. 

Interesting, I was trying to use the one parameter to move / slide it up and or down, but it only goes from the starting up and not past the starting point.

Capture.JPG

You only need a rectangle, one linear parameter and one stretch action.  I say rectangle instead of lines because the corners are solid 90 deg. and already joined.  it's just faster than mucking around with lines. 

The trick is including one side and both adjacent corners in the stretch frame.  An image of the block editor and a dwg file of the block are attached.  This lets the right side slide up and down while dragging the corners with it.  Is that what you want to do?  If this block's layer gets into a drawing, you will need to go into the block editor and move all the red lines to the layer 0 (zero).  I created it on my layer named NO PLOT, which is exactly what it does. It does not plot.

RECT.png

RECT.dwg

Edited by Dana W

Thank you for your help! I do have a question of why does the arrow not go past the 0,0 horizontal line. It will not let me drag it any further?

Capture.JPG

Oh, now I see what you were asking.  I am not sure.  I thought it was working.  I'll have to experiment some more when I get home today.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this.  All I could come up with was adding a flip action so you can pull it the other way when you need to.  I know it's another click but ...  >shrug<  Simply mirroring the whole block doesn't work either.

Apparently, one cannot stretch a distance parameter past its own zero length.

I'm not thinking far enough outside the box.

RECT.dwg

Can you post what you have so far?

Maybe see about just using parallel constraints, might not even need it to be a block. What is the intended use of the block?

Guess you could do, if so desired.

My understanding is that constraints don't play very well with dynamic blocks.

dJE