Save As with Revit

Bill Tillman

Still getting my feet wet with Revit models. I was informed today that I have to be with my setup. The computer at the office has Revit 2020 loaded on it. The computer at my home that I'm tinkering with has Revit 2022. They tell me that if I create a model on my home computer using 2022 I will not be able to load it with the office computer which has 2020???

Dont know anything about Revit but you may find that you can get a "Home" license so could load a 2020, that way the backwards problem will not exits. You need to check the EULA. I the  I have had multiple versions of Autocad co-existing. just pick correct Icon.

14 hours ago, Bill Tillman said:

Still getting my feet wet with Revit models. I was informed today that I have to be with my setup. The computer at the office has Revit 2020 loaded on it. The computer at my home that I'm tinkering with has Revit 2022. They tell me that if I create a model on my home computer using 2022 I will not be able to load it with the office computer which has 2020???

Check the AutoDesk Knowledge Network and look for the white paper entitled "Backward compatibility of Revit with earlier releases of software."

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 3:59 PM, Bill Tillman said:

Correct. It's not backwards compatible and only forward compatible through an upgrade process only. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I seem to have found the bottom of this barrel. Today, an architect sent me their Revit model for a project that was created using 2021.xxx. The xxx is some number I saw when we were doing an online meeting with them and I only saw it for a few seconds. The copy here at this office is 2020.2. When I tried to open the model the architect sent to us, it did not work. I have access to another system later tonight that is running Revit 2022 so all is not lost.

There was someone who asked if AutoDesk has a package for Revit that will convert a version downward. And as I understand from tzframpton's reply, there is no method to downgrade a Revit file like you can do in AutoCAD. At $2500 per year for Revit I'm going to have to generate a lot of revenue to justify the cost.

One last point. I learned long ago that AutoDesk's biggest competitor is pirated copied of it's own software. And in the last 18 months I did lots of contract work for multiple clients. The amount of illegal copies of AutoCAD I ran into was somewhat shameful. And when I tried to speak to these clients about it, I was treated like a cancer. Oh well, money talks and BS walks.

Did you buy Revit outright, or are you "renting" Revit as a SaaS solution? If you went SaaS you can download any version you want from accounts.autodesk.com and use the version required for the project at hand. 

-TZ

• Like 1

Being an ex Autocad reseller I know about how serious Autodesk takes about pirate copies. I had ceased being a dealer but my former boss called me needing some information, as Autodesk had started a investigation into a company where we were the preferred dealer, final result my boss got an order for 6 Autocad's at full price or go to court initiated by Autodesk. The initial lead came from a losing bidder on a multi million project. Maybe have a conversation with Autodesk in return for say a year of software free.

Back in 2012 I worked for a place that had at least a dozen copies of AutoCAD 2005. AutoDesk came in and did an audit and they had to pay up. We brought all users up to the latest copy and renewed every year after that. I've met lots of clients who pay for the software but then never bother to upgrade their local copies.

I work a lot from home and I shelled out the $1,650 subscription for AutoCAD for the last two years. I believe in playing fair.

BIGAL,

How are things down under these days. Yes, I know all too well about the rampant EULA violations. I'm always shocked how business owners will urinate away major amounts of cash on stupid stuff that produces no revenue but then feel they are somehow entitled to keep using expired or illegal copies of software. Long ago and far away, developers shared their technologies usually in a hot tub with some beers and doobies. But alas, those days are gone.

I've found it best just to keep my mouth shut when I see this stuff. But when pressed I remind people that all it takes is one disgruntled employee to drop the bomb on you. The place I worked for in 2012 was threatened with $256K per instance of their illegal AutoCAD copies. The lawyers settled it all out of court. And once we got everyone up to snuff they found it was better to just follow the EULA requirements rather than train new people with varied versions of the software.

As for removing the "EDUCATIONAL STAMP" I've been told there is a way to do it. And I personally witnessed two different clients who had copies of ACAD 2018 that were somehow relieved of their code which stamped all prints with it. But with the PDF software available today one can easily cover up the stamps as long as you stay in PDF format. That seems like a lot of work especially if the drawing set contains a bunch of sheets. I worked with an architectural set last week that contained 347 sheets.

As for me, I don't need any hassles and most of my clients require me to submit a screen shot of my ACAD license before they will issue payment for my work. So I made the commitment not to steal intellectual property. And with all the NDA's one must sign to do freelance work these days, it's just better to comply with the rules and take the expense as a tax deduction.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:01 PM, tzframpton said:

Correct. It's not backwards compatible and only forward compatible through an upgrade process only. 

And it's been that way for the last several versions, this is nothing new.

10 hours ago, Bill Tillman said:

Back in 2012 I worked for a place that had at least a dozen copies of AutoCAD 2005. AutoDesk came in and did an audit and they had to pay up

Why did they have to pay up? Were these 2005 copies illegal? There is nothing illegal or against EULA in using older copies of AutoCAD that a company owns.

39 minutes ago, Bill Tillman said:

clients require me to submit a screen shot of my ACAD license before they will issue payment for my work

LOL, it will a be a cold day in .... before I'd ever submit that. I mean how can they even verify that it's real? I'd could PS whatever on that screen print.

47 minutes ago, f700es said:

Why did they have to pay up? Were these 2005 copies illegal? There is nothing illegal or against EULA in using older copies of AutoCAD that a company owns.

The copies were not legal. Someone snuck in a copy and then they went haywire installing it to other desktops.

As for your second post, think about what you just said. Translates to being a cold day in hell before you comply with a client's request. I don't think that's exactly the model for a successful business relation. And let's say the deal did get into litigation for whatever reason. Lawsuits in the business world happen all the time. If someone doubts the authenticity of your submittal, invite them to a Zoom or TeamViewer meeting and let them watch you bring up your About screen with AutoCAD. Done deal.

27 minutes ago, Bill Tillman said:

The copies were not legal. Someone snuck in a copy and then they went haywire installing it to other desktops.

As for your second post, think about what you just said. Translates to being a cold day in hell before you comply with a client's request. I don't think that's exactly the model for a successful business relation. And let's say the deal did get into litigation for whatever reason. Lawsuits in the business world happen all the time. If someone doubts the authenticity of your submittal, invite them to a Zoom or TeamViewer meeting and let them watch you bring up your About screen with AutoCAD. Done deal.

No, I would NOT show a client my license in order to get a job. As I also said there is NO way for them to confirm that IS YOUR legal copy of the software, so with that it's BS! Sorry Bill, it is. We deal with multi million $$ construction builds every year and we have NEVER had to get someone to prove that their software is legal. That is 100% on them. Another issue is that ALL current AutoDesk software is subscription and doesn't show a license number as it's tied to a AutoDesk ID. Here's my about - license screen from Acad r2022. Not trying to call you out Bill but it just seems silly to have to "prove" that you are legit when there is NO way to confirm that you are or not.

1917186423_acadaboutlic.thumb.jpg.5423c2390a12fdbdd4214fbf5b7b899c.jpg

As I said, there is nothing here to prove that I'm legit. I could also find this on the web and put whatever I want on it.