forcing AutoCAD to look for “AcFields.fdc” in a network location?

halfcracked

I've found that editing the AcFields.fdc file allows me to add new custom fields specifically area calculations that read in Acres and ones that are formatted as xxx,xxx S.F.  for our site planning.

The issue I have is that AcFields.fdc is stored in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ACA 2016\enu\Support where xxx is the user name. I tried copying the file to a network location that is in the profile search path but Autocad ignores it there.

I want to standardize this for multiple users but would rather not have to copy files to their local support directory.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply use lisp formatted to specify area calculations that read in Acres and ones that are formatted as xxx,xxx S.F. and add it to a common support folder for everyone?

Your method would cause issues for everyone who didn't have your version of the AcFields.fdc file and would be the same program every time you updated AutoCAD. AutoCAD has updated that file before and probably will again in the future.

1 hour ago, tombu said:

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply use lisp formatted to specify area calculations that read in Acres and ones that are formatted as xxx,xxx S.F. and add it to a common support folder for everyone?

Your method would cause issues for everyone who didn't have your version of the AcFields.fdc file and would be the same program every time you updated AutoCAD. AutoCAD has updated that file before and probably will again in the future.

I've found fields to be very useful for site planning when things are shifting repeatedly. The field updates with a regen where a lisp would need to be run every time.

Right now I have some workstations setup with the updated AcFields & it is not causing problems. Already inserted fields contain the formatting in the field not the Acfields file.

fixing the file just simplifies the initial setup of the field.

as to updates - that's why I want to set a network location for the file - Set the user profile to look for the file on the network & I only need to maintain 1 copy of the file. plus -> Back-up.

Providing you have an object supporting an area a field will update automatically when you change a shape, using lisp to create the field formula. So many area -> field lisp.

Did you check the Archi project defaults did that help ?

Edited by BIGAL
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, halfcracked said:

I've found fields to be very useful for site planning when things are shifting repeatedly. The field updates with a regen where a lisp would need to be run every time.

Most of us use fields on a daily basis. Just saying you don't have to modify the AcFields.fdc file to do what you want. I use lisp to label areas in acres, SF, or SY without modifying and AutoCAD files. Your method seems a little extreme.