New to AutoCAD, Best way to learn on my own?

skvl

I am a Civil Eng. student and I attend to autoCAD class. I would like to dive deeper and learn by myself Autocad . I start to watch some online courses here , but obviously it's not enough.  What would be the best way to start learning on my own?

Buy a good after-market book by a respected author is one such method.  Ex. - Mastering AutoCAD series by Brian C. Benton and George Omura.  The other?  Practice, practice, practice.  It's how you get good at anything in life.

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

I had a look at Kindle ebooks just search Autocad found lots of books, some very cheap. I have some and using kindle is easy. George Omura was there.

Edited by BIGAL
  • Like 1

@skvl  I think the best way to learn a CAD program is to have a specific drawing/model you wish to create. It will force you to learn about AutoCAD features that are most relevant to the type of work you do. Of course, if you are totally new to the program you'll need help in learning the basics.  I'd concentrate on 2D for a while before heading into 3D use. A quick search at Amazon turned up this book.  You can get a feel if it suits your needs by clicking "Look Inside". You can try it out for free for a beginning lesson!  Good luck and post any questions you may have on this forum.  You will get a lot of free advice.

Lee

• Like 1

Lots of good suggestions already.  :beer:

When I started I spent about a week using the lessons on    mycadsite.com   and found them to be

very well thought out.  Yeah start with 2D for sure, put in some time and start with the basics.

It is important that you are comfortable with the fundamentals before ramping up to 3D.

Lots of very talented and helpful forum members here, eager to see you succeed, and help whenever

you get stuck.  Enjoy the ride.  :thumbsup:  :beard:

• 3 weeks later...

As a Civil Engineering student working with AutoCAD you should have a student login. See if you can use that to install student versions on your own PC.

Take a look at Autodesk Support and learning https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support

Civil 3D is the software that you'll need to master and it installs with lots of tutorials. Start with exploring Civil 3D Help https://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2023/ENU/

• 2 months later...