RECTANG Command not receiving dimensions and pointer input not showing up

kade1329

Hi, 

I'm working with 2020 AutoCAD LT for Mac, and as of this week and shortly after updating to the last Mac OS my REC command isn't working properly. When I input the rectangles specifications, the finished rectangle "snaps" to the X Y axis and is huge, and not the size I've inputed. 

Also, around the same time, my pointer input is not showing up even though this function is enabled in DSETTINGS. 

All of these changes are driving me insane! Is this a result of the Mac OS update? I'm hoping it's a setting that has been turned on and can be reversed. 

Any advice would be appreciated! 

• 2 weeks later...

May be the settings for imputing the coordinates have been altered.

To Specify Relative or Absolute Coordinates in the Dynamic Input Tooltip

To enter absolute coordinates when relative coordinates are displayed in the tooltip, enter # to temporarily override the DYNPICOORDS system variable.

To enter relative coordinates when absolute coordinates are displayed, enter @ to temporarily override the DYNPICOORDS system variable.

To enter absolute coordinates relative to the World Coordinate System (WCS), enter * as the prefix to the coordinates.

DYNMODE (System Variable)

Turns Dynamic Input features on and off.

When all features are on, the context governs what is displayed.

When DYNMODE is set to a negative value, the Dynamic Input features are not turned on, but the setting is stored.

Value  Description

0      All Dynamic Input features, including dynamic prompts, off

1      Pointer input on

2      Dimensional input on

3      Both pointer input and dimensional input on

If dynamic prompts are on ( DYNPROMPT is set to 1), they are displayed when DYNMODE is set to 1, 2, or 3.

When dimensional input is turned on (DYNMODE = 2 or 3), the program switches to pointer input when you enter a comma or an angle bracket (<), or when you select multiple grip points.

When DYNMODE is set to 1, 2, or 3, you can turn off all features temporarily by holding down the temporary override key, F12.

Settings are on the Dynamic Input tab in the Drafting Settings dialog box.

DYNPICOORDS (System Variable)

Controls whether pointer input uses relative or absolute format for coordinates.

To Enter Absolute 2D Cartesian Coordinates

At a prompt for a point, enter UCS coordinates in the tooltip using the following format: # x , y

If dynamic input is turned off, enter UCS coordinates on the command line using the following format: x , y

For WCS coordinates, turn off dynamic input and, at a prompt for a point, enter the coordinates using the following format: * x , y

About Entering 2D Cartesian Coordinates

You can use absolute or relative Cartesian (rectangular) coordinates to locate points when creating objects.

To use Cartesian coordinates to specify a point, enter an X value and a Y value separated by a comma. The X value is the positive or negative distance, in units, along the horizontal axis. The Y value is the positive or negative distance, in units, along the vertical axis.

Absolute Coordinates

Absolute coordinates are based on the UCS origin (0,0), which is the intersection of the X and Y axes. Use absolute coordinates when you know the precise X and Y values of the point.

With dynamic input, you specify absolute coordinates with the # prefix. If you enter coordinates on the command line instead of in the tooltip, the # prefix is not used. For example, entering #3,4 specifies a point 3 units along the X axis and 4 units along the Y axis from the UCS origin.

The following example draws a line beginning at an X value of -2, a Y value of 1, and an endpoint at 3,4. Enter the following in the tooltip:

Command: line

From point: #-2,1

To point: #3,4

Relative Coordinates

Relative coordinates are based on the last point entered. Use relative coordinates when you know the location of a point in relation to the previous point.

To specify relative coordinates, precede the coordinate values with an @ sign. For example, entering @3,4 specifies a point 3 units along the X axis and 4 units along the Y axis from the last point specified.

The following example draws the sides of a triangle. The first side is a line starting at the absolute coordinates -2,1 and ending at a point 5 units in the X direction and 0 units in the Y direction. The second side is a line starting at the endpoint of the first line and ending at a point 0 units in the X direction and 3 units in the Y direction. The final line segment uses relative coordinates to return to the starting point.

Command: line

From point: #-2,1

To point: @5,0

To point: @0,3

To point: @-5,-3