Surveying & control points

russ079

Hi, Are there any surveyors on here who could off some advice ? I am struggling setting up control points in AutoCAD. Iam using a leica icon icr80 total station. Here's what I've been doing

1. Setup 4 control points on site and measure. Measure perimerter of concrete slab. Export this to .dxf
2. Copy my .dxf into another drawing of the job model, I want to layout.
3. Group all the survey data together then move into desired position around job model to be laid out.
4. Import back into tablet and try to "setup anywhere" from control points which fails saying they are miles out.

The 0,0,0 of my survey is where my tripod was positioned. My job model I am copying survey into is using WCS drawn to site co ordinates, i am trying to do a trial erection of a steel structure on a different site. My control points are dimensional the same distance apart after I've put then in my job model, but I can't setup from them.

Can any one share with me how they setup up and measure control points and then align these site control points around a site model.

Cheers Russ

I worked for Topcon at one stage in software, not instruments, but training was part of a instrument sale. Did you not get any training or a link to manuals etc. 

I know vaguely you should resect to the control points so instrument works out where you are, else just set up over nail and back site to a known point, then record all shots, for setout, set up over nail and backsite to previous known point, then set out, should work, our guys used point 1000,1000,100 as a arbitrary base point co-ords then no -ve numbers.

These days they use GPS for control.

Lecia have set me up with online training. But the online training is all about how to operate the total station and tablet. There isn't anything on the preparing cad files part, they are just loading premade files.

Not sure if GPS would help me, as co-ords for job model are set for final install in London and I am trying to do a trial erection in Nottingham.

Ok so you want to do setout, basically you need a csv file of points, the simplest is exactly that use POINT set PDMODE to 34 add all the points you want, data extraction should allow you to select all points and make a csv file AND go to excel, in excel add a column and give all rows a pt number you can say make control 1000 1001 etc the rest 1+, save as a csv file, you can then load into your Leica as a job and do setout. 

Further down the track can look at better ways of making points files.

image.png.0dd4457e365b7dea7e7a26edcaf1a013.png

There are ways of say taking a setout based on 1 co-ord system say control point is at 1000,1000 and setting up on a control point at 334567,23456 so long as you have a backsite to another point to get correct orientation.

Our surveyors would do a survey say at 1000,1000 but move it and rotate to true world control then give it to us. yes they had GPS for control.

I am happy with the point and CSV side of things, I have a lisp to export my points.

Its when I rotate my points to a different co-ord system I can't get the setup to work. If I don't move them, I can move my tripod and setup in a different place to 1mm

I am not a surveyor but once you set up on a known point that is in your csv, not real world then set the backsite to a point in your csv & world it should be ok. 

Sounds like you just need another user or dealer to show you how, not sure you will get answer here. 

If you have 2 contol points can use align to rotate and move, or just do that to your data before making the setout csv. You need to pick which co-ords you want to use.

I started surveying  in 1975, have my license but haven't worked in the field since '92 and mostly do survey & engineering drawings with AutoCAD Civil 3D working for the government. 

While the software I use is rather expensive there are other cheaper software packages that might meet your needs.

You would probably get better responses in the Civil 3D & LDD forum.

Used to use Wildsoft COGO software from Leica late in the last century, but haven't used any software from them since.

What software are you using now?

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/01/2023 at 03:39, russ079 said:

I am happy with the point and CSV side of things, I have a lisp to export my points.

Its when I rotate my points to a different co-ord system I can't get the setup to work. If I don't move them, I can move my tripod and setup in a different place to 1mm

Post a picture of your error.

Are you scaling to fit to the existing site model?

15 minutes ago, Bacgj said:

Post a picture of your error.

Are you scaling to fit to the existing site model?

Bacgj,

I've managed to get it working now. When I was pasting my survey in to model , I was just pasting then grouping. I pasted it in as a block then it worked.

2 hours ago, russ079 said:

Bacgj,

I've managed to get it working now. When I was pasting my survey in to model , I was just pasting then grouping. I pasted it in as a block then it worked.

No probs glad your sorted