3d Cad

Sampdoria

Do you think that most construction and engineering drawings in the future will be done in 3d? Will there be a shift from 2D to 3D?

I think i might have put this in the wrong forum. sorry..

i think more and more will be drawn in 3d because it is extremely simple to make a 2d blueprint off a 3d drawing. I think more customers now want to see 3d models. It is certainly quicker to make a 3d digital model and change things rather than a scale model by hand(my opinion) but i dont work in construction. Everything i do is 3d and i am in engineering.

Do you think that most construction and engineering drawings in the future will be done in 3d?

I wish. :lol:

It would make work so much more enjoyable if I could do everything in 3D, but I don't think I will see this happen in my lifetime. This may be a real option for engineering, but I don't really think it's a viable option for construction documents. 3D has it's place, for visualizing a design concept, but to create an entire set of working drawings in 3D would be quite time consuming and not really cost effective, in my opinion.

Do you think that most construction and engineering drawings in the future will be done in 3d? Will there be a shift from 2D to 3D?

As certainly as there was a shift from cave walls to drawing boards and t-squares and slide-rules to computer based 2D there will be a shift from 2D as the default tool to 3D virtual prototyping with engineering analysis (for whatever field) built in and running real time in the background. Kind of like spelling and grammer checking in a word processor.

2D will still be used for documentation purposes, but it will be generated from the single source of truth - the 3D model rather than the other way around.

Someone figured out long ago that the world is not flat, but it has taken a while for the technology to allow us to easily represent the world as it is.

There are a few more exciting technologies that need to be developed to get across the chasm that separates the 2D so that 3D goes mainstreet for all in the design world, but the early adopters have already gone 3D by default.

No vanilla AutoCAD here http://engineersrule.org in fact they have stated on the site that it is intended to introduce 3D tools to the next generation of designers.

Autocad Architecture, Revit, Archicad, Bentley Architecture, are all 3d BIM design softwares for the Architectural side of things. The construction industry is most defiantly moving towards doing design in 3d, (this industry is slow to adapt tech though.)

I do see a future, pretty near future where all design is done in 3d, there are sooooo many benefits to doing a design in 3d

Production of models using GIS software is already in 3D. But I don't see much 3D functionality involved once this gets to the CAD desk.

EDIT: Actually, maybe I can.

My take is that construction will stay mainly 2D, construction engineering will shift somewhat to 3D and that manufacturing engineering will go to or has gone mainly 3D, but none totally 1 way or the other. My $0.02 -David

I use 3d for deck construction as I can do prints for permits from views which eliminates drawing time and can render 3d for the customers estimate which is a big advantage in sales.