Total Length of 3d object like pipes and other linear steel material.

johncabahog

Hello Everyone, 

I have a 3D model of a steel stair consisting of three different types of stairs. My goal is to obtain the cutting length for each part of the stairs, which I have completed. However, this process takes a considerable amount of time since I need to orient each specific part to obtain the precise cutting length using linear dimensioning. This is necessary because using the DI command is not accurate when the object is on a slope or has an unusual cut. I am hoping to  a LISP that could provide me with the total length of the 3D object, including pipes, SHS, RHS, and angle bars, even if they are positioned on a slope. A line that represents the real cutting length, a prompt, or a value in the command line would be perfect. I hope you understand what I mean and can help me. Thank you.

1-1.png

blackcolours2018_5-1677671759153.png

blackcolours2018_0-1677670498374.png

blackcolours2018_4-1677671600964.png

blackcolours2018_3-1677671579622.png

If the pieces can be laid out in the world UCS XY plane does a bounding box give correct answer for length and width. 

(setq obj (vlax-ename->vla-object (car (entsel "pick object "))))

(vla-GetBoundingBox obj 'minpoint 'maxpoint)
(setq pointmin (vlax-safearray->list minpoint))
(setq pointmax (vlax-safearray->list maxpoint))

;minpoint contains the minimum point of the bounding box
;maxpoint contains the maximum point of the bounding box

What does Massprop reveal ?

the rectangular steel is pretty easy, you can entget the solid

get the vertexes from the decoded SAT http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=25097.msg302271#msg302271

The pipe is a little harder, you may be able to get an edge (cylinders have two end vertexes)  use the edge, or vertexes to align with the UCS/WCS,

then get the bounding box as BIGAL suggests.

You can get better results from C# using Brep, one hiccup is if the material is grained opposite the length, then your kinda screwed 

for grained material,  you can attach a direction vector as xdata, some xdata codes are transformed as you rotate the objects. then you can use that

xdata to build a matrix so vla-GetBoundingBox can be used.

There's C# code at theswamp where I've played with this before