Convert bunches of text to mtext

CyberAngel

A co-worker showed me this trick. Select a batch of text objects that you want to turn into mtext. Important: unselect them by pressing Esc. Pull up the text2mtext command from the Express menu. You'll get a prompt that includes the SEttings option; type SE. Uncheck the box for "Combine into a single mtext object" (I had never seen this before). Back at the command prompt, type P to select the Previous selection set. Press Enter and Ta-Da! all those single text items are single mtext items. You can give them frames or background masks or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Outstanding tip, thanks very much for sharing that CyberAngel!

I have a very old school coworker, who has a tendency to use a lot of TEXT, and it always annoys me.

I tend to waste a lot of time and energy converting them to MTEXT, this will be extremely helpful!    :beer:   :beard:

No need for the first part of selecting text, just type SE after starting the TXT2MTXT command (or hit the down arrow) to bring up SEttings.

You'll need to remember to reset the combine option if needed later.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 7:09 AM, SLW210 said:

No need for the first part of selecting text, just type SE after starting the TXT2MTXT command (or hit the down arrow) to bring up SEttings.

You'll need to remember to reset the combine option if needed later.

The catch there is, once you have a selection set, you don't get the option to change the settings when you run the command. Maybe it's a noun/verb thing?

Edit: Another catch: whatever justification your text had before, it becomes Top Left/Center/Right. In other words, if your text was Bottom Left or Middle Left, and you convert it this way, the resulting mtext object will have Top Left justification.

Edited by CyberAngel
  • Like 1