Print area has shrunk

Hello, I  went from the Model to the Layout screen, only to find the print area has shrunk, as shown in the attached pic. Normally the border is on the margins of an A4 sheet.

Can anyone please advise how I  can make the print area larger , back to full size A4?

reduced Paper layout.JPG

1st step is set layout to true size say 297x210, then just adjust your mview taking into account hard clip limits for laser printer like 6mm on all edges. then plot at 1:1 but with mview scale set to what you want. You may need to use Window rather than Extents or Layout in the plot settings.

Thanks Big Al, but I have never done this before, relatively new to AutoCAD.
How do I adjust to true size? How do I adjust my mview, whatever that is 😃

I have a Brother laser printer, uses A4 sheets.

Edited by PJ01

The heavy dark line looks like the border of your viewport. Adjust the borders of the viewport to show the entire region of model space that you need. The rest of the design will become visible when you pull the border of the viewport out to the border of the design.

As BigAl suggests, however, the issue may be the way you have set up the plotter. This is one of the most difficult topics in AutoCAD, but you will have to become familiar with the process to print your work.

• Agree 1

Thanks CyberAngel, yes the heavy dark line did turnout to be the border of the view port. By double clicking, handles on the 4 corners appeared, and I  was able to expand it to the full page. Trouble was, the drawing then took up the whole viewport, and was not to scale for printing , so had to select the 1:1 scale in the task bar at the bottom of the page. Now able to print out at 100% scale

Thanks again

Box 1 _trayend.dwg

Edited by PJ01

The viewport itself is an object. It has properties. You can set the scale for the viewport, you can lock it, you can freeze layers inside it.

Also, because it's an object, you can select one of its grips and resize it. By double clicking, you probably went into model space and maximized the viewport.

I understand that you're new to all this. There are some topics where you need to have a firm grasp on them to do anything productive, like the user interface, the plotting system (noted above), and viewports. There is a steep learning curve, but those three things will get you started in the right direction.

Ok a couple more hints, draw a rectang 297x210 in a layout, offset that rectang 11.25mm, type MV pick bottom left, top right of the inner rectang.

Double click inside the rectang and go inside, type ZOOM E, you should see your model now in the mview.

You can zoom pan etc and resize what you see ! Now the great part open the toolbar Viewport, for metric users this will be your friend. When you go into a viewport the little box shows a value representing a scale, you can type a value in that box and the viewport will rescale. Its looks like mm plan. So for say 1:100 scale put 0.01 in the box 1:10 put 0.1, I normally work in metres so scale numbers are like 10 5 4 1000/scale, mm 1/scale. The other method is dbl click outside the rectang and you should now be in Paperspace. Click on the viewport and a little blue arrow should appear, click on it and you can choose a scale also.

Now Plotting this is Bricscad but the same, output to pdf or a printer choose,

Iso A4 sheet size

Window A4 sheet size

Scale 1=1

Colour.ctb or Acad.ctb

Landscape

Center on page

Then click on Apply button this saves the current settings.

Do a preview and check all is ok.

image.thumb.png.c04964f8b1458153af433078a40f0239.png

image.thumb.png.23c389e76aa3b2d33da0d9cc1e84c094.png

Edited by BIGAL
  • Agree 1