How to close weld gap in AutoCad 3D

Emboss 2014

Chamferedge command won’t work well for me since weld sizes are different height.   Anyway I drew the triangles and extruded them.  What is the easiest way to close this gap in red lines?  Thank you 

IMG_0029.jpeg

Can you provide more images and an description of what you're trying to do? It's a little difficult to understand what I'm looking at in that image.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cad64 said:

Can you provide more images and an description of what you're trying to do? It's a little difficult to understand what I'm looking at in that image.

sorry about that i will add more details when i get to work with CAD.  basically i modeling the angle iron 2x2 in sit on a metal plate at 60 degrees, and i  tried to show the weld all around the the 2x2 in weld to the plate.  if the weld is all equal all around the 2x2 in, i would just draw closed polyline or Join them then extrude up 1/4 in H, then use CHAMFEREDGE with distance 1 and 2 equal 1/4 in hit enter twice and be done. but this one as shown on picture, one of the side has different weld size so when i did the chamferedge it would not be easy. i want to find some other way to do this also. 

The image is very confusing. You say you're trying to weld a piece of angle iron to a plate but I see 5 different colors. So where is the angle iron and where is the plate? And why is the weld size different? I just don't understand what I'm looking at.

This is just spitballing, but could you draw a 3D polyline between the edges on one side and another one on the other side, then use LOFT to connect them? Or are these edges arbitrary, meaning you want to automate the process? Or is it more complicated than I suppose (most likely option)?

Assuming that you have geometry like this:

image.thumb.png.43fffd950b1d8b6d38c04436f86aad05.png

and you want to fill in the corner like this:

image.png.808e01abfef22ad8ca82761edf57c1d2.png

Define a UCS for each of the end planes of the welds and create closed polylines (red and green below) on each plane.  Use loft to create the solid between them.

image.png.eb6e29e8c1e80d013d598f7130287385.png

Sorry everyone for late reply.   I just returned to the office.  That is exactly what I wanted to do.  I will follow the instructions to use loft command which I never done before.    The weld sizes are different heights because of that what the specs called out.      I greatly appreciate all the information 

On 5/18/2024 at 6:28 AM, lrm said:

Assuming that you have geometry like this:

image.thumb.png.43fffd950b1d8b6d38c04436f86aad05.png

and you want to fill in the corner like this:

image.png.808e01abfef22ad8ca82761edf57c1d2.png

Define a UCS for each of the end planes of the welds and create closed polylines (red and green below) on each plane.  Use loft to create the solid between them.

image.png.eb6e29e8c1e80d013d598f7130287385.png

Do I draw the two triangles red and green on the existing weld piece after turn them on the 2D wireframe? And loft command after?   Thanks 

Posted (edited)

You can work in a wireframe mode or shaded.  It doesn't really matter.

With osnap set to end, create a UCS referencing vertices 1, 2, 3 the create a polyline from 1 to 2 to 3 and c (closed).

Then create another ucs with vertices 1, 4, 5, and then a polyline from 1 to 4 to 5 and close.

Now use loft!

weld.png

Edited by lrm
  • Like 1

I was able to use LOFT command.   Rotating the XYZ UCS to draw the triangles was hard. Green triangle was easy but I couldn’t get the Y axis.   It is new to me.  I need to look for more training on rotating ucs coordinate.  This will be helpful if I know it well.    Thank u

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

18 hours ago, Emboss 2014 said:

I was able to use LOFT command.   Rotating the XYZ UCS to draw the triangles was hard. Green triangle was easy but I couldn’t get the Y axis.   It is new to me.  I need to look for more training on rotating ucs coordinate.  ...

There's a UCS option that might help. I don't know if it's even documented. At the prompt type 3 (for three points, which you use to define a plane). Provide the new origin (point 1). Provide a point on the X axis (point 2). Provide a point anywhere on the plane (point 3). Ta-da!

No rotation, no math, no headaches.

The "3" option is not listed when giving the UCS command.  It can be entered but it is not needed.  The user should just give the UCS command and, with osnap end active, click on the three points I outline above to create a UCS on the plane of the end of an existing weld bead.

@Emboss 2014  no need to "rotate" the UCS.  Just use the UCS command and 3 points.  If the resulting UCS does look correct to use then use orbit (I like 3forbit) to visually verify that the XY plane of the ucs is on the plane of the weld end.

Command: UCS
Current ucs name:  *NO NAME*
Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis] <World>:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyberAngel said:

There's a UCS option that might help. I don't know if it's even documented. At the prompt type 3 (for three points, which you use to define a plane). Provide the new origin (point 1). Provide a point on the X axis (point 2). Provide a point anywhere on the plane (point 3). Ta-da!

That made sense.  No wonder I could not snap to point 3 because it was not in same plane.   Thank You 

5 hours ago, CyberAngel said:

That made sense.  No wonder I could not snap to point 3 because it was not in same plane.  

I Can not fillet edge on this triangle I’m not sure why.  The triangle is 3/16 in X and Y and want to fillet edge like 1/32 or 1/16 in.    
I was able to do the others.  I modeled it but extruded the triangle.  Any suggestions? 

Thank You 

IMG_0285.jpeg

1 hour ago, Emboss 2014 said:

I Can not fillet edge on this triangle I’m not sure why.  The triangle is 3/16 in X and Y and want to fillet edge like 1/32 or 1/16 in.    
I was able to do the others.  I modeled it but extruded the triangle.  Any suggestions?

What does the error message say at the command line when you try to fillet. If it's not working then Autocad should tell you why.

16 minutes ago, Cad64 said:

What does the error message say at the command line when you try to fillet. If it's not working then Autocad should tell you why.

I tried again and I got it now. I might have missed the edge when i clicked first time.  Thanks