Best start

Polstar

So, what is the best way to start a project in ADT? I draw domestic dwellings for extension designs. Is it best to get the full size of the house (ie from corner to corner and floor to eaves) and start by developing a wall all the way around, and then add the doors and windows?

I would suggest you do it floor by floor rather than the whole house. It is too messy to do the whole thing. So much will depend upon how much you are going to model and get automated drawing from. If you are new to ADT, start small. I design houses as well but only use ADT for the floorplans. It is still quicker (for me) to do the elevations in 2D.

so like, i would do the ground floor first and then the first floor? what height would i set the wall to? ground floor ceiling level or first floor floor level?

Yes. I set my elevation level to 0 and wall height to 2500. I draw my first floor exactly the same way next to the ground floor. If you are planning to put them all together as a 3D model then you should do each floor in a seperate drawing and use the project manager options to combine them. I haven't done this as I don't need full 3D models. ADTor Architecture is a sledge hammer to crack a nut for what I use it for but it does speed up the plan drawing quite a bit.

If. like me, you haven't had any training I would suggest you look at the tutorials on this site.

I wonder if i am trying to use a better programme than i need to! Does anyone think that it is going to be a waste of time teaching myself how to use ADT to just produce drawings for domestic extensions? I wanted to be able to create a 3d image (maybe some walk/fly throughs) to WOW my clients. It is getting more and more difficult to attract repeat business or word of mouth recommendations in this field at the moment. I thouight if i could do something above and beyond it might make a name for myself and seal many jobs in the future. So far it is seemingly un-economical to persue for these types of small projects? Any thought would be appreciated??

I wonder if i am trying to use a better programme than i need to! Does anyone think that it is going to be a waste of time teaching myself how to use ADT to just produce drawings for domestic extensions?

yes:roll::roll::roll::roll:

I agree with Geoffers and as I said before it is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. With that said it does make floor plans very easy. If you want to do simple 3D I'd suggest you try using something like Google sketchup which is simpler to use. I think you can still get it for free.

With regards to trying to get repeat work I would suggest you target local builders as they often recommend when pricing. Offer them a priority service and a discount for repeat work.

I wonder if i am trying to use a better programme than i need to! Does anyone think that it is going to be a waste of time teaching myself how to use ADT to just produce drawings for domestic extensions? I wanted to be able to create a 3d image (maybe some walk/fly throughs) to WOW my clients. It is getting more and more difficult to attract repeat business or word of mouth recommendations in this field at the moment. I thouight if i could do something above and beyond it might make a name for myself and seal many jobs in the future. So far it is seemingly un-economical to persue for these types of small projects? Any thought would be appreciated??

ACA does have a very steep learning curve, but once you get it down, man is it powerful. I would suggest Paul Aubins line of Mastering Autocad Architecture (Autocad Architectural Desktop) and go through that. His way of laying out heights is just as the project navigator is. Exterior walls would be set at the height of floor to floor, the interior walls would be floor to ceiling, a slab is then placed to where the floor level is at, with its thickness set to its proper depth. This makes cutting sections and doing elevations extremely easy.

If given enough dimensions i can have floorplans and roof plan cranked out, and literally have all the elevations and a rough cross section in a matter of well... seconds.

I do envy you (and others like you) Noahama who have mastered ADT. I am still struggling and edging forward. :?

However I think the consensus is ADT probably is not right - not necessary - for the little extension job.

Polstar, keep going, don't give up...:)

It may not be the perfect match for additions, but since he already has the license, might as well move forward in learning the software and getting the mindset for BIM going, since it defiantly is a fundamental change in the way our minds work when doing designs. (IE 3-dimensions being the first form of thought, instead of 2d floor plan being the initial thoughts)

Not sure if any of that makes any sense lol.

I have the benefit of having ACA installed on my home machine as well as my work machine, and a lack of life outside of my home lol. I have spent over a year reading almost anything I can find on ACA, spending a great amount of spare time playing with anything and everything in the program. I still have more to learn, as it is a never ending thing. Paul Aubin's book is the most valuable item I used to learn the program, he lays out the process so well. The residential project he covers in the book is an addition to an existing house.

Noahma

I agree with you, and you seem to be further on than I am in the process...But I think Polstar should not think he can be productive with ADT in a short while...

Noahma

I agree with you, and you seem to be further on than I am in the process...But I think Polstar should not think he can be productive with ADT in a short while...

it most certainly will take a while to get productive with it. Memorizing how the system behind the scenes works is essential to producing things effectively

I am using H. Edward Goldberg - Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2005: A Comprehensive Tutorial. at the moment. It seems ok if you don't deviate from the test. ie if anything goes wrong or is not exactly as in the book ,you are in trouble!

I am hopeing to become productive...at some point! Not straight away, i understand that learning a new software programme is tricky enough, but as stated by Noahma, it is learning anew mindset. Wish me luck :)

... if anything goes wrong or is not exactly as in the book ,you are in trouble!

Wish me luck :)

1 exactly and

2 I do and

3 as Noahma implies ADT is a 'process'...