New CAD site for CAD blocks- Check it out!

AdamW87

I just started my new site. check it out and let me know some feed back. I want to know what you all think. Its a database for all kinds of cad blocks so people who design can find a place to get any type of block they need. I have a poll that you can take so be honest and let me know what could be changed. Thanks guys. its called CADBlockDB. com thanks!

yeh sure to be honest I don't really need to be looking for blocks for what I use Autocad at work for, but it seems a pretty good site, im sure the only thing with websites like yourselves is quantity the more you have the more better the site is because it has more to offer.

But I think it's good, see what other people think who regulary insert sample blocks etc :)

thanks im looking for any critiques about the site. things that will make it better, more useful, and more efficient. thanks everyone for the comments!

Interesting.

And you'll design anything for free? You must be 1) generous and 2) have a lot of time on your hands. Thanks.

In your opinion what would make your site preferrable say to the CAD Block Exchange Network?

Not only that Mark, this Adam guy is even putting up links to the Autodesk store. He's giving them free advertising it seems, man this is the most generous guy I've seen on here!! haha

I only looked at it a little bit. I checked out your car models. The site navigation and over all look is good. My only suggestion is change the logo color or the background color of the logo. You just need more contrast there.

Interesting.

And you'll design anything for free? You must be 1) generous and 2) have a lot of time on your hands. Thanks.

In your opinion what would make your site preferrable say to the CAD Block Exchange Network?

My site is similar to the CAD Block Exchange Network, but it will be much more organized. I have spent hours looking through existing blocks to weed out all the bad ones. I am still working on the site but soon there will be an image next to each download so you can view the block before you download it. The image will be magnified so it will be clear and easy to see. If you go to CBEN its clustered and full of ads everywhere. I do have ads but just on the right side. Like I said, I am still working on it, I just need some helpful tips from other CAD users. Thanks to all, and if you visit can you please vote in the poll for me. Thank you.

-Adam

The website design is easy to navigate (may become confusing should the library grow too large), though you should start thinking about a search function now. Also, I like that the colors aren't screaming to get my attention. It would be nice if the "Details" button displayed whether the block was 3d or 2d, and even better if it could be broken down into 3d solids and meshes, and what all views for 2d.

I probably will not use the site much as I usually make any blocks as I need them (usually takes about as long as finding one that sort of suits my needs), or download them from the company's website. I'll agree with bb that the logo should be made to stand out a bit more, perhaps instead of solid black block lettering you could instead go with a very light grey, almost white, and fill the letters with a simple diagonal hatch, and using the same lighter color on the dimensions would allow them to be read more easily, currently they almost look like grafitti.

Overall, I'd give your site a solid B. Well built and usable, could stand a little more polish, and the block library is a bit on the smallish side (perfectly understandable for a site you just started).

P.S. Since when have golf carts been considered furniture?! :P

**Edit** Aha! You moved them to make me look foolish!

Yea I just moved them after I read your post. Thank you. I appreciate the post and I will take all your comments into consideration. Thanks again.

Nice site.

Some suggestions:

Small thumbnails so you know what you're getting before you download? I find that very helpful in block/model sites. Hate having to download and open 5-10 blocks before I find the one I'm looking for.

Search? It would be helpful although your categories are very organized, but search could make it easier when your site gets bigger.

organized

Very important, particularly with cad block sites. Most are a mess.

there will be an image next to each download so you can view the block before you download it. The image will be magnified so it will be clear and easy to see.

That's what I'm talking bout. Looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

The site has one quirk.

I tried to view some blocks in AutoCAD 2004 and get Invalid Drawing File. You should think about saving these drawings in an earlier format to get a better overall responce.

Good Luck with your site.

The Buzzard

Pretty cool stuff. Interesting that "3D women" is the most downloaded file. What's everyone getting up to there, I wonder?

• 1 month later...

looks good.. if only you have blocks for other electricals, plumbing, structural, and mechanical drawings....

looks good.. if only you have blocks for other electricals, plumbing, structural, and mechanical drawings....

Thank you for the suggestion. I will get working on that right away.

Interesting that "3D women" is the most downloaded file

I downloaded it -just I can nott see it because I use only AutoCAD 2006 :( I am sure it looks good

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad, but the design needs tidying up with more of an emphasis on the blocks themselves. I launched my site in october last year with similair aims. I don't have enough posts to create a link but you can check my profile if your interested ;-)