how can I make 3d non planar surfaces!!

kakody1

yes that exactly i need a solid of the drawing given.

I have managed to do seperate each edge of the drawing but when i try to use the loft cmd that seems to suit to my case gives the error message i have written u!

Thank u very much for your considereration.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kakody1

• shift1313

• JD Mather

• fuccaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As mentioned, AutoCAD will not loft a non-planar spline. If the cross sections need modification anyway, it might be a good opportunity to reduce Fit Point count. This may require some rework to keep the resulting solid in tolerance.

Here I’ve divided each loft into 32 sections and recreated the flattened spline (osnapz). I’ve also added a couple extra guide curves to make the result more predictable.

The ends of the original curve suggested that this wing may be incorporated into some shroud or ducted fan. The “End treatment” curves could be lofted, and the resulting surface used to SLICE the ends of the lofted solid to more closely match the original curves.

I didn’t do that last step because the file size expanded beyond the forum limits.

WingCrvReduced.dwg

i designed the surfaces and from what i had made where most superior.

The next step is to convert the surfaces to one solid!

I have tried to use thicken cmd to the whole part and to the upper and the lower part* of the wind but the this command does not works.

Is there any other cmd that i can tryso as to make it to solid

*i was thinking of thickening uper and lower part and then intersect hte to parts so i can get the solid object.

Command: THICKEN

Specify thickness : 4

Object intersects itself. Surface cannot be thickened with specified value.

This is the message i take when i try to thicken and i cannot understand why!!!

well there is a difference between a mesh and a surface. If you used the command edgesurf, you created a mesh surface and thicken will not work. If you lofted a single line, thicken will work, but looking at your profile i do not think this will be the best for you.

Its slightly more complicated but i would make that part using planar sketches on either end, loft it, then create a surface at each end and slice the part down to what you need.

SEANT told you how he made the solid as well

If you lofted a single line, thicken will work

That is what i cannot understand. why i cannot thicken a lofted surface and gives me the message above.

it is alofted (not closed) surface!

as for instructions on how to make a solid given by SEANT i may be lacikng on knowledge on Autocad and i can' t understand what have to be done!

...project i have for my school!

Autodesk Inventor would be far more appropriate for this project. Students can download Inventor for free from http://engineersrule.org

I have been given a shape of a wing in 3 dimensions made up with splines

Where did the original splines come from? As I suspected way too many uneeded control points on the splines.

my school is in greece and we can' t download from this site and besides that we are working with this autocad in school. we are taking exams on this!!!

The professor gave us the original splines and i don' t know where they come from!

my school is in greece and we can' t download from this site

Any students anywhere in the world can download this free software.

we are taking exams on this!!!

The professor gave us the original splines and i don' t know where they come from!

The original splines are garbage. (see attached) Good luck on the exams. I could recreate the most complex of the original splines with about 6 control points - maybe fewer. It would be far more smooth resulting in a smoother wing surface.

splines.jpg

inside the link below is the dwg file that contains the whole wing with a close loft cmd,

Where did the solid come from? It does not appear to have been created from those splines in AutoCAD as the ends are planar and the splines are not. It is also much smoother than the splines?