Jump to content

Why does FILLETEDGE fail on some 3D solid edges?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Have you ever tried using FILLETEDGE on a 3D solid, only to find that the command fails or produces an unexpected result?

One thing I check first is the fillet radius. If the radius is too large for the available space, AutoCAD may not be able to create the transition.

I also inspect nearby edges and faces for small or complicated geometry that could interfere with the operation.

When a fillet fails, I usually try a smaller radius first. If the model has several details, applying larger fillets before adding smaller features can also make the process easier.

When FILLETEDGE fails, what do you normally check first: the radius, the edge selection, or the surrounding geometry?

Posted

Why?

 

Are you just guessing at a radius value?

 

I normally just use (F)illet, I only occasionally have the need for FILLETEDGE, but it has a dynamic preview, so I am not sure why even if guessing a nice radii it would fail or give an unexpected result.

Posted
On 9/29/2026 at 7:52 PM, SLW210 said:

Why?

 

Are you just guessing at a radius value?

 

I normally just use (F)illet, I only occasionally have the need for FILLETEDGE, but it has a dynamic preview, so I am not sure why even if guessing a nice radii it would fail or give an unexpected result.

Mathematics

 

Yeah ! but I was referring more to cases where the operation still fails despite adjusting the radius, particularly around complex geometry.

I also see your point about using FILLET for regular edges. Thanks for the clarification.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...