Autocad files and Sketchup

Rudbeckia

I am new to sketchup and I have just imported a cad file into my 3d drawing. Do I have to trace over the entire cad drawing, or is there a way to do it faster. (This is kind of a Sketchup question, so I may me on the wrong forum)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• bbankston

• CADken

• Rudbeckia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am new to sketchup and I have just imported a cad file into my 3d drawing. Do I have to trace over the entire cad drawing, or is there a way to do it faster. (This is kind of a Sketchup question, so I may me on the wrong forum)

No problem, I moved the thread to the SketchUp forum.

If you are talking about say a floor plan and now you are going to draw the rest in 3D with SU then yes, this is one way to do it. In my opinion this is a very good way. I usually bring the drawing into SU and then move my floor plan to a single layer and then group the entire drawing. This will make the tracing and push/pulling easier. Give this a try and see how it works for you.

Good luck :)

• 6 months later...
No problem, I moved the thread to the SketchUp forum.

If you are talking about say a floor plan and now you are going to draw the rest in 3D with SU then yes, this is one way to do it. In my opinion this is a very good way. I usually bring the drawing into SU and then move my floor plan to a single layer and then group the entire drawing. This will make the tracing and push/pulling easier. Give this a try and see how it works for you.

Good luck :)

Anther great and fast service Knock down by TPL ^^, I love you

it seems someone is gather a fan club of sorts?

• 4 weeks later...

Why would you trace a CAD file in SketchUp? I just create my files in CAD with SketchUp in mind. For instance, if I'm drawing a glass hand rail system for a stairwell I make sure that I have my elevation and plan and then for each instance of glass I make a block (which converts to a component in SU), for each instance of a single piece of channel I make a block, etc...

I love me some SketchUp. It helps our clients get a better visual of what we're quoting and I get a much better understanding of how the whole project will come together.

Take a gander at my newest creation.

Baker Hughes pic2.jpg

Baker Hughes pic1.jpg

Baker Hughes pic3.jpg

Baker Hughes pic4.jpg

Yeah, that's cool :) I trace a CAD file if I am doing an exterior model and I have a floorplan and the elevations. This way I have the cleanest model possible. Now if I am doing an interior job I might use the CAD file lines. Sometimes the CAD files I get are complete JUNK. If I do the CAD file then I can trust it to be clean ;)

acad-su-trace.jpg

Holy Crap, f700es! Do you have the Pro version of SketchUp? I am most envious of all the little doo-dads in your menu bar at the top. Your Sketch Up and CAD skills are most impressive.

Holy Crap, f700es! Do you have the Pro version of SketchUp? I am most envious of all the little doo-dads in your menu bar at the top. Your Sketch Up and CAD skills are most impressive.

I use the free version right now. I honestly don't see a need for the Pro version but I might after I look into some of the new V7 features. I think your staircase is very professional and can stand on it's own. It's very nice.

The "doo-dads" in my SU menu are the Kerkythea toolbar and the house builder toolbar. You should look into both of these as they are pretty cool!

Thanks BTW.

SU-housebuilder.jpg

It's funny you should mention Kerkythea. I saw some posts of yours and others about it and decided I'd give it a go.

And I must say...

It

is

freakin'

amazing!

I love free software. I'm just messing around with it for now.

What do you think?

Baker Hughes pic5.jpg

Tell me more about this "House Builder toolbar". I wonder if it'll help me in my current profession? I work at a glass fabricator and wholesaler and we design all sorts of stuff for our clients. From glass hand rails (as you've seen) to glass facade store fronts, shower doors and so forth.

F700es !! you been keepin that a secret, haven't you... That house builder tool is very cool ! thanks ... I need to pay more attention to the sketchup forums....

I was just playing with a few things in that, it makes a 2x10 joist 9 1/2" WTH !!!....LOL

Tell me more about this "House Builder toolbar". I wonder if it'll help me in my current profession? I work at a glass fabricator and wholesaler and we design all sorts of stuff for our clients. From glass hand rails (as you've seen) to glass facade store fronts, shower doors and so forth.

It's mainly to help generate framing plans.

http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/Ruby/EM/HouseBuilder_extension.zip

F700es !! you been keepin that a secret, haven't you... That house builder tool is very cool ! thanks ... I need to pay more attention to the sketchup forums....

I was just playing with a few things in that, it makes a 2x10 joist 9 1/2" WTH !!!....LOL

Well, I didn't keep it a secret on purpose :oops: I'll share with all my friends, any time :)

I am just lost in wonder.

Basic problem: two blocks, say of different sizes. When I want to work on one the other is also affected; I can't separate them:twisted::twisted::twisted:. I'll get there...

Geoffers,

Are you talking about components in SU? If so then all you need to do is right click one of the blocks (components) and hit "make unique".

If not SU then open one of your blocks in block editor and explode it in there. You probably have an embedded block.

OMG.... i LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUV this!

thanks for sharing! it's been a while since I've worked anything in SU... ok, it's been a month or so... but still.

It does ROCK! The 3rd party add-ons from users is what will give SU the following that AutoCAD has. The LISP customizations that users come up with are out of this world and the same thing is happening to SU with it's Ruby programming.