CAD computer Spec

guitarguy1685

I want to build a new computer and I'd like to know what you guys recommend for runing CAD. Probably some 3D modeling. Right off the bat this is what I'm thinking

CPU - a quad-core

MoB- I'm thinking SLI and 2 Video Cards.

Vid Card. I'm not really sure what would be good for Autocad 3D.

Ram - 8GB

what do you guys recommend?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• f700es

• Cad64

• kevinp

Top Posters In This Topic

CPU - a quad-core (AutoCAD / Revit based applications only run on one core, so if you're gonna be using one of these applications you'll be better off with a dual core at a higher clock.)

MoB- I'm thinking SLI and 2 Video Cards. (No CAD app utilizes SLI, I would stay far away from this setup as it is a complete waste and might give you serious hardware issues)

Vid Card. I'm not really sure what would be good for Autocad 3D. (A good gaming card with as much RAM as you can find will do the job.)

Ram - 8GB (Best option you've presented. More RAM the better, just remember you need a x64bit version of Windows for this much RAM)

Like Cad64 said, this has been covered lots already, have a look around some previous threads.

really? autocad only uses 1 core? that's shocks me. No SLI eh? maybe I'll just do the sli for gaming ;)

Not very many programs out there actually take advantage of multiple cores. Granted, if you use a utility that allocates all the "open and running programs" to separate cores then yes, you'll see a sustain in performance. That should not be confused with "faster". At work I have a Core 2 Duo, I run AutoCAD MEP on one core by itself, and everything else (including all my Windows services, etc) on the other core. It definitely creates much more efficiency so that my computer doesn't have to the workload and makes for some awesome multitasking.

And ya if you are gonna use it for Gaming then definitely run SLI, but you'll have to disable it when you open AutoCAD or other programs I would assume. And any gaming card that is equipped for SLI will run AutoCAD just fine. 8)

Multiple cores are very useful when rendering. The more cores you have, the faster you can render. A quad core processor can render almost twice as fast as a duo core processor. So that's something to consider if you're going to be doing a lot of 3D work and rendering on this machine.

Sorry guys, AutoCAD 2010 does use multi-cpus.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autocad_2010qa_final.pdf

Section 4.3 on page 6.

I think this came in r2009.

I wonder if they are talking about multiple physical cpus, or multi-core? Huge difference. Ive tried the 2010 demo but Ive never noticed it using 4 cores. Will have to check next time, as this could be the reason to convince my boss to upgrade :)

Sorry guys, AutoCAD 2010 does use multi-cpus.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autocad_2010qa_final.pdf

Section 4.3 on page 6.

I think this came in r2009.

Well I stand corrected, AutoCAD 2009 did not. That's great news and sorry for the misleading info. The reason I assumed was I asked this same question for AutoCAD and Revit 2009 products over at the AUGI forums not even a year ago. So then the answer would be yes, quad core will be much better. I do not think Revit still does tho.... maybe I'll check on that too.

**EDIT** Well after Kevin's post, and re-reading the section is does say Multiple CPU's and not Multiple Cores. Hmm.... maybe I'll take that PDF link and re-ask over at AUGI just to be sure....

“Yes, AutoCAD 2010 software supports multiple CPUs. The performance of AutoCAD graphics and

rendering systems benefits from multiple CPU systems.”

Multi-threaded rendering is understandable (and well appreciated), but do you think the reference to “AutoCAD graphics” refers to anything other than the WHIPTHREAD system setting. That has been available at least as far back as 2004.

I’ve been lead to believe that the other lengthy number crunching tasks (Solid and Surface operations, for example) are not suited for multi-threading.

Quoted from the AUGI board....

multiple cores or multiple physical cpus, doesn't matter. As far as the OS and apps are concerned, they are the same thing.

Now as for AutoCAD supporting multiple CPUs, that's a bit more complicated. That article is marketing speak, and while correct, is not complete. There are elements and subsystems in AutoCAD that can take advantage of multiple cores and run faster with more processors. The rendering subsystem is one, so if you do a lot of rendering, multiple cpus are a distinct performance improver.

But, AutoCAD as a whole is not multi-threaded, and the daily drafting tasks will not benefit from having 8 cpus running.

that said, at least a dual-core is desirable, since windows always has a lot of background tasks and processes running, bottom line for now, two cores=good, 4 cores=very questionable, 8 cores=wasted money. Unless rendering is a big part of your job, then spend the money on RAM and graphics

well thats somewhat dissapointing. I guess I'll have to overclock my processor here at work then! Makes me wonder how long till I get apps that can take advantage of N cores without worry.

Quit misleading if that is correct. But if the os understands multiple cores then one should see some improvement in performance. Tanner have played with Win7 yet?

well thats somewhat dissapointing. I guess I'll have to overclock my processor here at work then! Makes me wonder how long till I get apps that can take advantage of N cores without worry.

Look how long we have had 64-bit CPUs and we finally the OS to really use them.

Looks good to me, guitarguy. I'd also recommend getting a video card with at least 256MB onboard RAM, as well.

A few things to note:

Windows XP 32bit doesn't support more than 3.5GB of system memory, so make sure your OS supports 8 GB (XP 64 bit, Vista, or 7 will be fine).

Also, if you do go with nVidia for the video card, look into the CUDA drivers, as these are specifically for CAD-type applications, while the standard drivers will work, they're more suited for gaming, etc. Don't know the CUDA link offhand but any search engine will be able to find it faster than I can.

(XP 64 bit, Vista, or 7 will be fine).

I don't think the word Vista should be used in this context with the words "will be fine". How about: "Any 64 bit operating system, other than Vista, will be fine."

Glen

Looks good to me, guitarguy. I'd also recommend getting a video card with at least 256MB onboard RAM, as well.

A few things to note:

Windows XP 32bit doesn't support more than 3.5GB of system memory, so make sure your OS supports 8 GB (XP 64 bit, Vista, or 7 will be fine).

Also, if you do go with nVidia for the video card, look into the CUDA drivers, as these are specifically for CAD-type applications, while the standard drivers will work, they're more suited for gaming, etc. Don't know the CUDA link offhand but any search engine will be able to find it faster than I can.

cuda drivers can be found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html