Layer Manager:

Ounces

Hello,

I am using AutoCAD 2004 and am having issues with the Layer Manager. When I open the Layer Manager, I can create new layers, however, I can not edit any layers, at all. I can not change the color or line type, I can not freeze or do anything!! The only thing I can change is the name of the layer. This can happen when I double click anywhere on the line of the layer. What am I missing?!? Please help! :cry:

Thank you in advance!

Yes, I know 2004 is close to a decade old. It is what the guy I am working for uses. He sent me his installation disks; then I opened up the drawings he sent which had layers already. No service packs have been installed to my knowledge. I will give that a try.

Thanks!

Forest

If you can't figure it out - attach a file here that exhibits the behavior (you can delete most if not all geometry).

After preparing the file to post - be sure to verify that the behavior persists.

I didn't have any luck repairing. I think that is because I don't know how. I thought if I inserted the installation disk there would be an option of sorts that said something to that effect. I tried to install service packs; to no avail.

"...could not be installed because the expected Autodesk product could not be located." It is there though, don't really know what that means then.

Here is a file that is still exhibiting the same problems. I have tried numerous .dwg's and none of them will let me utilize the Layer Manager. Anymore thoughts or advice are much appreciated!

Helpfile.dwg

Nope, you don't initiate "repair" using the AutoCad disk's. You use the Windows Control Panel / Add-Delete (uninstall) programs. AutoCad is one of many programs that offer the Repair option, in addition to Delete or Add, in the Contol Panel funtionality. Once you find AutoCad on the list of programs, click the "Change" or "Modify" button to start the process. You might need the install disk(s) during the repair process, so don't put 'em away yet.

Here comes one of those "Did you check the gas guage?" questions. You are using the "Layer Properties Manager" and not just the "Layers" dropdown list. right? The only things you can do with the the dropdown list is change the layer currency, move objects from one layer to another, off/on, freeze/thaw, lock/unlock, print/no print.... stuff like that.

I was able to open the drawing, and edit any of the layers and their properties. It looks as though your installation went bad. If the Control Panel Repair does not help you, it will probably take a "CLEAN" uninstall/re-install to fix it. Autodesk has specific instructions to get a clean re-install done on this page.

Here comes one of those "Did you check the gas guage?" questions. You are using the "Layer Properties Manager" and not just the "Layers" dropdown list. right?

I was able to open the drawing, and edit any of the layers and their properties.[/url].

I, like Dana, had no problem changing linetypes and colors in the layer manager on 2013.

As for the gas tank approach, as the OP said he could create layers he must be in the LAYER MANAGER box, not the dropdown list.

I did notice this however, which may well be causing your issues ...

layer states issues.JPG

layer states manager.jpg

Ok, well, I have tried the repair with no success. Thank you for telling me how to properly repair though, Dana! Then I followed the clean uninstall, reinstall procedure. Now when I open CAD it says, "can not find the resource string #11927 in resource AecViBase40." ?? I click ok, and everything work, not the Layer Manager, of course. And when I close AutoCAD it says, AutoCAD has stopped working...even when I never opened a drawing or anything, just the program. Oh, yes, I am using the Layer Manager and not the drop down. I wish it was something as stupid as that! I am at a loss. Everything else seems to work, at least as far as I have used.

Dadgad (nice tuning by the way), I am not sure what the "Converted to Layer States" is saying.

I just thought of this, would it matter that I am running 2004 on Vista 64? I never thought about it...I run everything else on it, 2012, SolidWorks. I don't know why it would, but thought I should ask before I just uninstall everything.

Thank you again, everybody!

Agreed, a great tuning. :D

I am not really sure what it means either, but I found it noteworthy, figured I should mention it.

Camarillo?

Like camarillo brillo by Zappa?

I used to go there with some regularity and stay with friends there.

Is that how they spell TENANT in camarillo these days?

AutoCAD 2004 is a 32-bit program and you are running it on a 64-bit system so, yes, you may experience some unusual behavior.

Are you running 2004 in XP mode?