Help a newbie select a PC

ACnewbie

I an a long time structural engineer and have used AutoCad while working at firms for years.

But only to view drawings, measure etc,, no drafting since we always have a drafting dept for that.

Now semi retiring and want to work at home and use/learn Autocad.

I never have had to worry about the equipment or such, we had internal IT or outside to tend to that.

So I am clueless about what to purchase for a beginner. What I don't want to do is purchase a expensive system way, way beyond my abilities and have it be completely outdated by the time I am up to speed.

So I would prefer to purchase something more entry level and move it over to be my engineering computer when I am ready to upgrade.

I will contract out the actually drafting, or the bulk of the drafting. But I do need to be able to finish off the final things that always seem to fall through the cracks.

I have been advised that the following would be adequate for my purpose, so opinions are needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DM6TWM/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_PCACDTCE_2d1_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=unified-hybrid-3&pf_rd_r=TRZ73WJQR9AG9KTF10K2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=b70a7391-3928-465d-920b-49a6c1b4aa01&pf_rd_i=565098

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005BZNDOO/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1519262751&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=21"+monitor&dpPl=1&dpID=41VGT5KS2ML&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MG0733A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519262793&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=1050&dpPl=1&dpID=5108ys35cSL&ref=plSrch

Thanks!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• ACnewbie

• Cad64

• tzframpton

I would not buy an Intel core i3, those are only dual cores. I also am not sure the power supply in that Acer will be enough to power that 1050 card (good card BTW). If you go Intel I would not go below an i5 based system. You could look at an AMD Ryzen based system, all of those are at least quad cores. While you can't "future proof" any system you can invest in one that will/should last 5-6 years.

Start with a quad-core system

8gb of ram

256 ssd sata drive or a m.2 PCIe ssd drive

dedicated video card, nvidia 10xx series preferred

24-28" lcd (once you go to a 28" lcd, you'll wonder how you ever made it without one)

I am going on 5 years with my current work PC, 4th gen core i7, 16gb ram, gtx 650 and 520gb ssd. It will be replaced this summer but there is no reason that it cannot go another 2 years.

Good luck and welcome to CAD Tutor :)

Sean

That's a nice monitor. I have an Asus 24" VG248 and I really like it. If you have the money, go for the 24".

And I agree with f700es, don't go below an i5 with your processor. And I will never buy another computer with less than 16GB RAM. RAM is pretty cheap these days, and it's always better to have more than you think you will need than not enough. Believe me. Been there, done that.

Help me out here fellas, I just drive them I don't look under the hood. :)

Please give me a specific recommendation, as in a link.

Thanks!!

• 3 months later...

Well, things got in the way. :)

I was made an offer I couldn't refuse for 3 months working away in a office, but I am back home now and need to pull the trigger on getting that PC.

Don't know if my 2 cents matters, but most of the offices I have worked in lately run ASUS pcs.

So I would feel more comfortable with that brand.

F700es, I am not sure why but I was unable to open the Woot link you provided for weeks with either my laptop or the library's public computer. When I was finally able, of course that deal was long gone.

So any suggestions on a ASUS?

Please provide a link and model # in case the link doesn't work.

Thanks again for helping and sorry this has turned into a multi month project!

If you want a laptop, anything HP ProBook equivalent or higher will work. You can find them around $600 and up. If you want a desktop, any unit with a Core i5 or i7 with decent RAM selections will suffice. Again around the $600 range.

-TZ

Dell had SWEET deals on lease-return Optiplex models yesterday with 4th gen i5 cpu's. 48% off got you a 4th gen i5, 4gb ram and a 500 gb hdd for under $200. I almost bought one.

Then go to Newegg.com

$45 for a 500 watt PS

$55 for (2) 4 gb ram

$150 for a 4 gb GTX750 Ti

$100 for a 500 GB SATA SSD

For home use this is what I would get...

Dell Inspiron Gaming (bear with me) for $799.99

Intel Core i5 8400 6-core @ 4 GHz

8 GB DDR4 2400 (get 8 more later, $70)

1 TB SATA HDD (it has an M.2 PCIe slot for another drive, 256 GB M.2 $120)

Nvidia GTX 1060 (just fine)

A damn good unit for the $$ and it looks cool.

Screenshot_3.jpg

My Dell at home is going on 7 years and mine at work is going on 5 years.

The Dell XPS can be had for $749.99 with almost the same specs except...

8 GB 2666 MHz ram instead of 2400 MHz

AMD Radeon RX 560 w 2 GB ram instead of a 3 GB GTX 1060. The GTX is a better card!

Where?

Sorry guys, but please provide a link to the suggested desktop.

I don't speak the language of computer and whenever I search for what is suggested I come up with multiple models, model numbers, terms I don't understand and am left bewildered.

Thanks!!

I believe this is one that Cad64 suggested up the thread.

http://www.crazimart.com/products/Dell-%252d-Inspiron-Desktop-%252d-Intel-Core-i7-%252d-16GB-Memory-%252d-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-%252d-128GB-Solid-State-Drive-%252b-1TB-Hard-Drive-%252d-Black%7b47%7dsilver-trim.html

Dell - Inspiron Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 128GB Solid State Drive + 1TB Hard Drive - Black/silver trim

$720

For home use this is what I would get...

Dell Inspiron Gaming (bear with me) for $799.99

Intel Core i5 8400 6-core @ 4 GHz

8 GB DDR4 2400 (get 8 more later, $70)

1 TB SATA HDD (it has an M.2 PCIe slot for another drive, 256 GB M.2 $120)

Nvidia GTX 1060 (just fine)

A damn good unit for the $$ and it looks cool.

Screenshot_3.jpg

Is this the one?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-i5680-5842BLU-PUS-Inspiron-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B07BR6JJ6S

Yes the one at Amazon will work. It does have a 128 GB SSD which is nice but might not be large enough down the road. Not a bad price.

Dell had SWEET deals on lease-return Optiplex models yesterday with 4th gen i5 cpu's. 48% off got you a 4th gen i5, 4gb ram and a 500 gb hdd for under $200. I almost bought one.

Then go to Newegg.com

$45 for a 500 watt PS

$55 for (2) 4 gb ram

$150 for a 4 gb GTX750 Ti

$100 for a 500 GB SATA SSD

Is the the desktop?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAJ273Y8510&cm_re=dell_optiplex_i5_desktop_4th_generation-_-9SIAAJ273Y8510-_-Product