+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Using
    not applicable

Default How can I play with Google Earth?

Peeking around, I think I came to the right place for this question: tis' my first post, so "work with me":

What I want to do is import high resolution images (50 to 100 scale in google earth or maps...preferably 50) into a dwg to do a study. Thing is, I need to study a very large area (using polygons on say...10 different layers), so, is there a way to: import a large area from Google Earth or Maps, such that it is able to retain the resolution that would appear when viewed at 50 scale? What's the best way to get ALL that into a dwg? I'm using Goog as an example, I'm not against better sources for imagry or anything.

I've been using the evolutions of Land Development (inc. Civil, Survey, Maps) since 98...so, I got a few thousand hours, most of it from 98-02, so, I'm capable, but just not regular with it enough to know how to perform a task like this efficiently.

This should help: I need to measure the width of a road to +/- 1' (If you've ever zoomed into Google Earth and used their tool to measure the space between skips, you get like 12.5 feet (actual = 12')...accurate enough for what I need...How do I get like a City into a dwg where I can retain THAT level of resolution? (quickly)

I'd greatly appreciate the ideas of the community

Regards-
    Adam

Computer Details
    CADken's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Computer:
    Toshiba Satellite A135
    CPU:
    Intel Pentium T2080 @ 1.73GHz, 1733 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    RAM:
    Slot 1: 1GB DDR Slot 2: 1GB DDR
    Primary Storage:
    Toshiba 110GB, Maxtor External HD 120GB
    Monitor:
    Notebook Monitor + 22" NEC AccuSync LCD223wxm
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

the only downside to google earth is that the resolution isn't that great, esp. when you try to zoom way in to see someone's backyard.... i know you can save the map you are viewing and then import the *jpeg of that into CAD....

altho i've never attempted such a thing so good luck post pics up when you get more into it as well!
    Fireman | Draftsman | Fabricator
    Running Windows 7 with AutoCAD 2010
    the Battalion East Side Pride

Using
    not applicable

I wan't looking for your opinion on the resolution: I've already established that I'm fine with the resolution at a specified scale; I'm aware that I could import a series of images at the resolution I want and match them up, but like I said, THAT is my problem: there is a tradeoff between resolution and scale with regard to the number of images i would have to import to encompass the desired area: I do not wish to import hundreds of images at my desired resolution: I want it all: I want to dump a huge area into a dwg instantly, yet I need access to that resolution.

The lack of responses made me keep looking for an answer: apparently, there exists a "Google Earth Extension" utility for AutoCAD 2007 and 2008. Basically, you zoom into the desired area on Google Earth, open up Autocad 2007 or 2008, type "ImportGEmesh" into the command prompt, and the area that you specified in google earth gets imported into the drawing.

I'm currently researching this right NOW.

http://autocadder.blogspot.com/2007/...gle-earth.html

thanks anyway

Computer Details
    Tiger's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    Computer:
    HP EliteBook 8570w
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.60GHz
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
    Monitor:
    HP
    Discipline
    Civil
    Tiger's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Education /support
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Support/Education/Retail
    Using
    Civil 3D 2015

Woaha, relax Cad Guy - the reason no one was responding is probably because no one knew the answer.. see it as your chance to shine and teach the rest of the community how to play with G Earth, I know I for one love the program, can fiddle with it for hours and hours, and to combine G Earth and ACad... that would be like mixing sugar and honey
    whether is when you are asking yourself, should I stay or should I go
    weather is when it's cold as all that outside
    wether is a goat soprano
    #SpellingMatters

Using
    not applicable

"Woaha, relax Cad Guy - the reason no one was responding is probably because no one knew the answer.. "

Your telling me to relax because I needed an answer, didn't get it, and kept purusing it until I got what I wanted? Last time i checked, a passionate pursuit of knowledge was a desireable quality in a person.

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

I wan't looking for your opinion on the resolution
    He's telling you to relax because you didn't get an answer and came back with an attitude. The above may seem a little disrespectful coming from someone who just walked into a forum and couldn't find what he wanted at a snap of his fingers.

Computer Details
    Tiger's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Computer:
    HP EliteBook 8570w
    CPU:
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
    Monitor:
    HP
    Discipline
    Civil
    Occupation
    Education /support
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Support/Education/Retail
    Using
    Civil 3D 2015

To search for knowledge IS a very desireable quality in a person - I was not trying ot claim otherwise, if that is how it sounded, it was not my intention.

I simply reacted to your post sounding a bit like an accusation towards the community because no one knew anything about Google Earth - there might be a huge bank of knowledge here, but no one claims to know everything. That's why I also wrote 'see it as your chance to shine and teach the rest of the community' - new knowledge is always welcome!
    wether is a goat soprano
    #SpellingMatters

Using
    not applicable

He's telling you to relax because you didn't get an answer and came back with an attitude. The above may seem a little disrespectful coming from someone who just walked into a forum and couldn't find what he wanted at a snap of his fingers.[/quote]

...but that's not what he wrote. In your framework it seems like attitude, but not in mine: After spending hours reasearching this problem, I came upon the forums, spent additional time reading all the rules, and then took the time to clearly define my problem statement in my initial post, and I followed the required format. My time is valuable, and I assume yours is too. I intentionally spent time defining my issue to avoid posts like the second one. It is you people who need to relax and grow some thicker skin. Their was no maliciousness in my intnet: I'm just trying to avoid wasting time (although this response doesn't help that statement...)

Computer Details
    zars's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows Xp Profesional Service Pack 3
    Computer:
    Dell Optiplex 755
    Motherboard:
    Intel D946GZIS
    CPU:
    Intel Core2Duo 2.13 GHz
    RAM:
    1 GB Kingston DDR2 333 Mhz
    Primary Storage:
    Sata 300 Gb Western Digital
    Monitor:
    Dell 17''
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Calm down dude, it's supposed that we don't have to bite the hand that's feeding us. So if someone's trying to help you, the less you can do is to thank them for trying.

Now back to the subject, maybe you've heard about ArcGIS, you can do this with ArcMap. There you can import images and georeference them and later export them to ACAD.
    There are only 2 things which are infinite... the universe and the human stupidity.
    "Life is not the amount of breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Computer Details
    Tiger's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Computer:
    HP EliteBook 8570w
    CPU:
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
    Monitor:
    HP
    Discipline
    Civil
    Occupation
    Education /support
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    Support/Education/Retail
    Using
    Civil 3D 2015

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I understand that you get frustrated, and hoped that someone here knew something about it - but to snap at someone for just giving some input is just not civil.

But as you said, your time is precious, so is all of our times - so I'll stop here and wish you a genuine good luck with your problem, I'm sure you'll find a solution.
    wether is a goat soprano
    #SpellingMatters