Layer Merge in 2008

Cad Sponge

Has anyone else had trouble with the layer merge command. I haven't used it since we upgraded to 2008. I try it on my computer and it doesnt work. Then my boss tried it on his station and it didn't work there either. It recognizes the command but when you click a target it does nothing and just goes back to a clean command prompt.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLW210

• Cad Sponge

• robner

• mahahaavaaha

Hello!

I haven't heard of any problems with LAYMRG and 2008. This is what I get:

laymrg

Select object on layer to merge or [Name]:

Selected layers: Text English.

Select object on layer to merge or [Name/Undo]:

Select object on target layer or [Name]:

******** WARNING ********

There are 1 block definition(s) which reference the layer(s) you are merging.

The block(s) will be redefined and the entities referencing the layer(s)

will be changed to reference layer "Borders".

You are about to merge layer "Text English" into layer "Borders".

Do you wish to continue? [Yes/No] : y

Redefining block "RENAME".

Deleting layer "Text English".

1 layer deleted.

I do have SpyWare Terminator installed and when I used LAYMGR for the 1st time, it checked several Windows Executables and asked me if I wanted to run them... Maybe this is where you should check? I use the one from http://www.spywareterminator.com.

/Petri

Well, like I said. It doesn't say unkown command. When I type laymrg then enter. I get the message "select object on layer to merge or [Name]" I select an object, and it goes back to a clean command prompt

• 1 year later...

I have been having the same problems with the Layer Merge command. The command actually works in certain drawings and doesn't in others; which made me think a lisp routine or a system variable is different. I compared the different drawings loaded lisps and system variables and I couldn't find anything that would make a difference. I am at a loss. Given my situation where the Layer Merge command works in one drawing, but not in another, does anyone have any additional theories?

• 1 month later...

SLW210 actually wasn't far off... I have found this problem on several blogs and people said it worked on some drawings, but not on others. I use ACADE 2009 and LAYMRG wasn't working in one of my electrical drawings... I opened up a new drawing with the acad.dwt file and tried the command in that drawing and it worked great. So then I used the ARX command to see what, if anything, was loaded differently between the two drawings. I did find some descrepancies. There were about 15 more files loaded into the new drawing compared to the electrical drawing i was having trouble with. I used APPLOAD to load one of the missing files (acetransmitui.arx) and once I did that, the LAYMRG command worked fine. I realize this is an old thread, but I hope this helps someone :)

Thanks Robner! It worked for me. That has been bothering me for a while. However, there must be something else that is contributing to that command not working or else I think I would have found it like you did. If I compare two different drawings (one where the command works and one that doesn't) neither drawing has the "acetransmitui.arx" file loaded. Figure that one out.

• 4 months later...

So that acetransmitui trick seems to not be working for me suddenly. But I seem to have found another round about way of getting laymrg to work in a drawing for anyone who cares. I first use the command LAYMCH to move some entity from one layer to another. Then, suddenly, LAYMRG seems to work fine... umm yeah... no idea. I am having these issues in drawings that I convert from promis-e. LAYMRG seems to always work fine in new drawings that I make.

• 1 year later...

Even though this is a older thread I am still going to give my solution for all the other people out there like me who googled the issue without avail.

Mostly when I used the command it would work find but sometimes (in a DWG that it worked in a half hour before) I would get the following

"Command: laymrg

Select object on layer to merge or [Name]:

Selected layers: 244__244.

Select object on layer to merge or [Name/Undo]:

Select object on target layer or [Name]: Regenerating model."

then nothing, no error report or problems but most importantly no result.

Out of frustration I started systematically deleting everything in my drawing that makes it different then a "new" drawing. When all I was left with was three layers (0, Get_Rid_Of_Me and This_One_Stays) I discovered that even though I was trying to merge "Get_Rid_Of_Me" into 0 and wasn't doing anything with "This_One_Stays" it STILL required to be unlocked. So there was my (long winded) solution, have ALL layers unlocked, to this quite bothersome issue. Also sorry for the novella, this has been a monkey on my back for several months now and I am quite over joyed that I have resolved it.....for myself at least.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

maybe this is an error they fixed in 2011. Unless there is something else happening in the time it takes for me to unlock a layer. I checked by trying command with success->lock layer->try and fail->unlock layer->try and success :)

I'm having trouble with laymrg, using names.

I can laymrg by selecting objects on the layer, but when try it using layer names it don't work

Command: laymrg

Select object on layer to merge or [Name]: Rob

*Invalid selection*

Expects a point or Last/Name]:

Edited by Spinxy

maybe this is an error they fixed in 2011. Unless there is something else happening in the time it takes for me to unlock a layer. I checked by trying command with success->lock layer->try and fail->unlock layer->try and success :)

Even in 2008 no problem with locked layers and layer merge. Have you installed the updates for 2008?

I'm having trouble with laymrg, using names.

I can laymrg by selecting objects on the layer, but when try it using layer names it don't work

Command: laymrg

Select object on layer to merge or [Name]: Rob

*Invalid selection*

Expects a point or Last/Name]:

Follow the instructions, you need the Last Name.