How to save higher version drg to lower version drg?

kart_trik

Dear all,

I have a bunch of autocad drgs in say 2004 version . how could i save these drgs in 2000 version by using single step.

i know to save these drgs individually but i have got about 200 drgs to be converted to 2000 version.

somebody help

Regards

K.S.Karthik:)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strix

• ML0940

• fuccaro

• GE13579

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems that this question is a returning one, so here is a more detailed answer.

I have seen on the Autodesk website a program for batch back saving but I wrote my own application for Purge, Zoom to extents and save in the choused format. Depending on the needs I use AutoCAD 2000 format or DXF –depending on the client’s wish.

How to use the program:

Open a drawing, go to Tools>Load applications and locate the lisp file. Drag it in the Startup folder and close the drawing. Now go to File>Open and in the opening window select ALL the files to be back saved. Press the Open button and … wait. The program will open all the selected files and save them next to the original. The filenames are prefixed with "R2000_".

If the files to be back saved are not in the same directory but in subdirectories, use the Windows search to list all the *.dwg files contained within the main directiry (the one containing the sub directories). Select all the files listed and press Enter. It will work if on your computer AutoCAD is associated with the DWG file extension.

Remove the Lisp from the Startup suit.

(defun saveback()
   (command "-purge" "all" "" "n")
   (command "_.zoom" "e")
   (command "_saveas" "2000" (strcat (getvar "dwgprefix") "\R2000_" (getvar "dwgname")))
   (command "close")
   )
 (saveback)

Hi,

get free Autodesk TrueView from http://www.autodesk.com. This lets you batch-convert dwg's with lots of options:

Formats:

convert_format.jpg

Other Options:

convert.jpg

Note that it will automatically do an audit if requested, bind xrefs and remove plotterdefinitions!

Cheers,

Petri

• 7 months later...

ML0940

Mahahaavaaha will be happy to read your opinion-in the chat forum. Please post here only if you have something to say or ask about saving drawings in earlier versions.

I've just noticed the thread owner is using 2008 LT so won't be able to use lisps :(
I could be wrong, but I'm sure you could write all that to a button macro in LT

Hi, yes, I would definitely believe that you could process the commands through an intrinsic ACAD menu macro, however, with that, you will not be able to open, close then re-open a new drawing.

I have never used LT but (as stated) I do know that we can not use LISP or VBA inside of LT. With LT is the ability to process ACAD scripts (.scr files) definitely available?

Using VBScripting, I do also believe that external scripts could be written to send intrinsic ACAD commands to the ACAD command line.

With that being said, with VBScripting, you can still say, For Each drawing in a particular drawing, then ....etc

Hmmmm, the only question I would have there is how to get he commands to the command line?

Actually, this could be a mute post because I did ask someone to try to open ACAD with a VB Script and it error-ed out on them; likely because LT is not VB Enabled, therefore can not be accessed at all with scripting.

Therefore, I would go back to the original idea of a menu macro for one drawing at a time and a scr file to process several drawings at once.

ML

you would be able to process through one drawing at a time with just one click though

I used to have a handy button that went 'zoom extents>purge>save>close>open' all in one effortless action :) (okay, so I may have had to hit the 'enter' key to confirm PURGE)

Hi Strix

No doubt,

I could probably write that menu macro in 10 minutes but wasn't the original question asking how to open a drawing, saves (version, then close, then another drawing?

If so, then that would require a script.

If we are talking about one drawing at a time, then yes, it could likely be done.

Though, to not get too ahead of myself, I don't thin I have created a menu macro that doesn't this but off the top of my head, I would say it can be done fairly easily.

ML

I only posted the info I did after other options drew a blank

perhaps the OP would be better off sending the drawings off to somebody who has the full version and can run the script?

given the length of time opening 200 drgs could take I'd say it's probably worth paying for if necessary

Well,

I have to believe that you can write a script (.scr) in LT

If not, I would say, save the money and put it towards a real seat of ACAD :)

I bet I could write a VBScript that would create the .scr file for them : )

After all, it is only a .txt file saved as a .scr file

In order to do that, I would need to know the exact directory name of where these drawings reside.

If the OP gets one drawing working via the script and I have the aforementioned info, then I could automate the rest, simply by saying For each drawing in a given directory, then have it repeat the commands with then respective drawing name.

Then from within LT, they could run the script (.scr file)

ML

I used to have a handy button that went 'zoom extents>purge>save>close>open' all in one effortless action :) (okay, so I may have had to hit the 'enter' key to confirm PURGE)

I use this macro:

^C^C-purge;a;;N;

and it works for me -I don't press enter at all.

I use this macro:

^C^C-purge;a;;N;

and it works for me -I don't press enter at all.

Ooo - cool - I'll have to check how it ran

I don't remember having to hit enter, but couldn't think now how it could have worked without!

anyway - where's the OP got to? :?

It'd be nice to know how he decided to do it (else he's too busy doing it all by hand)